Bunny Pals

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaRabbit

Reaction score
We were considering getting our Jessica a littlepal. We were just curious if there were any types of bunsthat we should avoid getting for her and if most buns tend to get alongok? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!:D

Hi JessicaRabbit,

You have to be really careful when introducing a companion. Bonding tworabbits is touch-and-go. They have to be introduced in a mutualterritory and carefully watched because if they don't get along, thefighting could lead to big vet bills. Female/Female and Male/Female aremost recommended. Male/Male doesn't usually work.

You can't just drop a rabbit in your bun's cage and walk away. The bestway it was ever told to me was by Buck Jones. He had taken his bunny toa shelter and in a room, brought in different bunnies to his pet andlet her pick her companion. Makes the most sense to me. It's a win/winsituation. You save a rabbit's life, and you can see if the two getalong.

Still after that, you have to properly bond the two rabbits. There'swebsites on how to do that. It takes a lot of supervision and hours inthe beginning.

Rabbits are fine living alone. We tend to think that they need anotherrabbit for company, but they naturally go about their lives solo. Theydo live in warrens in the wild, but they usually find their own burrowwithin their community and sleep alone. In the wild, they sticktogether more for the reason of alerting each other to the dangers ofpredators rather than for their bonded relationships and everlastinglove.

The first post I ever read on a rabbit board was of a man who hadgotten a friend for his rabbit. In the morning he had awoken to thesight of the new rabbit dead in the cage. Some claimed it was stress,others said they fought. Whatever it was, be forewarned that such athing can happen if bonding doesn't happen correctly.

-Carolyn

As Carolyn suggested, bonding of bunnies can be atouchy thing, but having agreed with that premise, suffice to say thatit can be accomplished in many cases. If successfullyaccomplished, it is a most enjoyable thing to behold and enjoy.

I would suggest linking to:http://www.mybunnies.com/bonding.htmandhttp://www.rabbit.org/behavior/index.htmlfor further information, as two of the most erudite internet sites uponthe topic of bonding rabbits.

Good luck, should you decide to proceed. Come back and let usknow how you are doing, or, if you have any further questions.

Buck ;)

oh, you guys thank you so much for the information.We were thinking of having a new buddy for company for her,and if we decide to do that then we will certainly take her with us topick which one she gets along with. Thanks a lot for all of thevaluable info and links...if we decide to get her a buddy, we willsurely post pics!

Greetings JessicaRabbit,

One last thing I'd like to add is that in a lot of cases as it's beentold, rabbits that have another rabbit companion, put all of their loveand attention to each other. Rabbits seem to focus on One Love for themost part. I've heard bonded rabbit owners say, "I feel like I'm on theoutside looking in."

Good luck in your decisionmaking, and yes, please do let us know what you decide.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back