Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Nutrition and Behavior > Small alarms

Old 05-09-2017, 02:33 AM   #1
Specials
AJ
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Small alarms

Hello if ya missed my introduction Im a rookie at this. I have a rough guess 2year old bun who would eat hay non-stop after i gave him some Romaine lettuce he has not touched his hay still eatting his pellets and constantly chewing on a cardboard toy we got him froma pet store dealing in bunnies. Should this be major cause for alarm or is he protesting to get more romaine lettuce?

Dad of a fur ball bunny

Old 05-09-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
katiecrna
Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

He needs to eat hay to stay healthy. So I don't know what your food set up/routine for him is.

http://rabbit.org/faq-diet/

This is the food recommendation for rabbits.

Rabbits only need 1/4 cup of pellets a day for every 6lbs. So my rabbit is only 3 lbs so she only gets 1/8 cup.

Sometimes when there are more yummy options available for the rabbit they eat them first and get full off of them and don't want to eat hay. This can cause problems. You need to limit the amount of pellets so that your bun will eat hay.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:26 PM   #3
majorv

Liked 320 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 156

If he was eating hay before and not now, and nothing else has changed, then you might consider changing the hay for a different type, or maybe take the cardboard out and see if he goes back to eating the hay.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:41 PM   #4
Specials
AJ
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Well my bun is a 10.5lb bun who gets per the Vet: 2/3 cup of pellets a day and all the hay he wants. We give him 1/3 in the morning and 1/3 before bed and keep the hay feeder fully stocked. The vet suggested as way to get him to like me (he decided as a guy himself i was a threat and he did not want me near him) that i feed him special treats like romaine and carrot tops. I like the suggestion to remove the cardboard box and see if it helps as i type this i pulled the toy out
Dad of a fur ball bunny

Old 05-19-2017, 08:58 PM   #5
Specials
AJ
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Well bunny isnt eating hay like he use too still eatting his pellets still a mini fertilizer factory so no GI issues i can tell just seems hay has lost his intrest and he would rather chew on his toys and dig constantly
Dad of a fur ball bunny

Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM   #6
majorv

Liked 320 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 156

If you haven't tried different types of hay or grass, you might try that. I know ours liked orchard grass as a change from the coastal hay they usually got.

Old Today, 03:08 AM   #7
Specials
AJ
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

We switched from Timothy hay to orchard grass no luck, tried alfalfa no luck vet believes it could be a silent protest to get more Romaine lettuce or he is keeping busy with his toys
Plus side for the next few days i will have a very lazy bunny he was fixed today is munching quite happily on Timothy hay

Dad of a fur ball bunny