My little friend passed away. I am heartbroken. H

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Singlyartist

Reaction score
Just wanted to try one of these forums for support. To find people who understand. My male holland lop friend passed away yesterday so suddenly. He was about 8 years old. He was well taken care of and showed no signs that he was sick or anything before he died. He was eating, drinking and pooping regularly. Im having a hard time coping and didnt expect to be this upset and missing him so much. I miss him hopping all over the place and knudging me for cuddles. I regret not spending more time with him. He was a special guy. Stubborn as heck but such a friendly guy. Its hard because I wasnt expecting this at all. I also am blaming myself and wondering if theres more I could of done. Does anyone else relate? I know I did the right things but it feels like I didnt? It also saddens me that everyday animals are being killed intentionally and my heart goes out to all of those innocent beings. I will remember him always. I love you and will always remember you Cocoa.

My sincerest condolences. It's perplexing how someone can be here one day and gone the next. I lost my 8 year old bunny last November and it was so hard. I found what helped me was going to a special spot in nature to sit and talk to him. It also helped me put things in perspective and brought me some peace. I stlll go there now and do this every week or so. But those first few weeks are awful. Hugs...

Thank you so much. I appreciate it. Im just saddened even more because I have to wait to bury him. I called around to see and he could only be buried on your own property. I rent my place and probably wouldnt be able to. So I have to wait to get him out to the countryside to my family members property that is allowing me to bury him there. What did you do for your little one? If you dont mind me asking. I was thinkingof cremation but im not sure

Well we buried him on a wooded hilltop in a ravine near our old house. This was likely illegal but now we can visit him whenever we want. If we buried him in our backyard we would move eventually ... so that was pointless to us. We have another bunny buried next to old Steve and we even put a marker there with an inscription. No one has bothered it. I'm not encouraging you to do that but just saying it worked for us. Just had to be a bit stealthy about it.

I had to make the decision to have him cremated. I want to remember him as the happy boy he was. But witnessing his passing left me traumatized. I feel like I helped him but comforting him but I didnt want him to go so I tried to get him to keep holding on. That memeory will take a long time to deal with. I love and care so much so having someone i cared about gone. Has left me heartbroken. He was a part of my family and I lost a family member. Im grieving and I know i have to allow my feelings to just flow but its very hard. I keep blaming myself. I hate this. It definitely has reminded me that i need to spend time with those i love and cherish it. I just hate that a tragedy like this had to remind me so much more of that.

It does hurt. Nothing can change that. But in time, when you feel ready, you may choose to honour his memory by adopting another rabbit in need of a good home. And although that won't replace him by any stretch, it can help you to heal :)

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's always so sad when they pass suddenly with no warning. A year ago my just - over 2 year old kitten passed away in the night. I got the best snuggles before I went to bed, and he was a happy healthy kitty. My heart goes out to you, the shock of finding them, and wondering if there is anything you could have done are things that you need to deal with, but you'll eventually come to terms with it.
I too have chosen cremation for my pets. I rent, so I haven't set down roots anywhere. I made a memory box for one, and I have a shelf for my last kitty. I take comfort in the fact that I can still talk to them if I need to, and I can look through the photo albums I have from their wonderful time on this plane.
I hope you can start to feel better, just know you gave your bun a happy healthy life, and remember the good times you had with them.
Take care,

Latest posts

Back