Suggestions to help relationship with rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyBusiness

Reaction score
My bunny Clem and I have sort of hit a stop in bonding and I was hoping for some advice to help improve it.

She used to lick me although now she doesn't, not after separating her from the female friend that turned out to be a boy. I used to pick her up to put her in her cage but I haven't in a month now knowing they don't like that, I don't even force her in either, just bait her in with a treat or wait until she's done running around. I give her greens and treats daily but not too many, she doesn't seem to mind being stroked on her back sometimes, but if she moves away I stop.
She seems completely comfortable around me, she does a lot of dead bunny flops in my room with me, never runs from me and does approach me from time to time, but I don't really know what she wants if she does want anything when approaching.

Am I doing anything wrong or am I just expecting too much in so little time?
I've had her for about 2 months and a half now. I understand that every rabbit is different but I would like to become good friends with her.

What is her age? Is she spayed?

Have you read up on bunny body language? That can help you to interpret the signals she may try to give you (when she wants to be pet, when she doesn't, when she's irritated, when she's content). Here's a link that may help:
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

It sounds like you are doing fine with her. Without knowing her age, I can't comment on the greens. Normally a rabbit can work up to getting about 2-4 cups of greens every day.

She is at least 4 months old I think, she is not spayed, I would like to but I can't yet with my financial situation, but I do plan to make it a priority before she turns 1.

I give her a variety of greens, usually either mint (a long stalk, maybe 6 inches), a stem of sage flowers and a handful of leaves, basil leaves, dill weed or black berry leaves once a day, all grown without pesticides ever used, and I'm growing some dandelions as well.

On the language I have been reading up on, but nothing seems to define what she is saying. I thought she might be presenting herself for some head rubs but she doesn't seem to like being touched around her head or ears.

Ah, gosh, what do you expect from a girl in puberty? :) Human or not, it can be quite a time, some mood swings and changes are normal.

Just do whatever you think is right, be yourself, spend time with her and be patient.

Surprisingly she doesn't seem to be hormonal (Knock on wood) o_O She hasn't changed much, she's still sharp on her litter manners and doesn't spray or leave poop on the floor. No aggressive behaviors in her cage unless there's another rabbit near by, even then she only grunts at the rabbit and not me. But thank you very much, I will go her pace.

What she does is boop my hand when approaching but then runs away in a playful manner. Any bunny expert translation? :)

Usually if they bop you and sit there, they want something like head rubs, food, or you to move out of their way. But if she bops and dashes off(especially if she stops and looks back at you), she is either trying to get you to follow her as she wants something that's in another room, or she wants you to play with her, such as hide and seek, tag, or something like that. If you want to participate in the game, try getting up and following to see what she does. She may dash off again and want you to come after her. I don't have any rabbits that want to play games with me but I have read of other rabbits doing this kind of thing. As you get to know your bun it's a bit of a guessing game as to deciphering what it is they are trying to communicate, but as you both get to know each other better it will be easier to guess what those bops for attention mean.

Her stopping giving kisses isn't unusual for a maturing rabbit. Baby rabbits can be pretty free with their kisses and mutual grooming behavior, but once they start maturing these things can slow down or stop, especially as mutual grooming plays into the whole bunny hierarchy and dominance thing, so a maturing rabbit is going to look at it much differently than a baby bunny does. Though it's possible that she'll start up giving kisses again once she's gotten past this stage and your relationship with her becomes more established. Teenage rabbits can be fickle things :p

I'm surprised she doesn't like head rubs. It's the only place my rabbit like me petting them. They hate me petting them on their backs.

This website is pretty good if you need more tips on bonding with your bun.
http://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingwithyourbunny.htm

I was worried she started to like me less, good to know it's just that then. :)

I'll see if it's tag she wants to play, and yeah it is weird, she won't allow hands near her face, but she'll take back strokes. Thanks for the advice and help JBun.

Could you give me some tips for being more alpha with her? It would be nice to get her and the other to get used to being handled especially since the boy is very naughty and doesn't want to go in his cage, so my forearms are all scarred up from him kicking with those tiny sharp bunny nails.

Could you give me some tips for being more alpha with her? It would be nice to get her and the other to get used to being handled especially since the boy is very naughty and doesn't want to go in his cage, so my forearms are all scarred up from him kicking with those tiny sharp bunny nails.

I can understand you're plight with your bunny. Sadie is the most reserved rabbit I've ever had and while I want to be alpha, I don't want her to be scared of me.
I do recommend you make sure your rabbit knows you can pick them up when you desire, in case of emergency. Also, I try not to put a rabbit down while they are struggling, I hold Sadie firmly until she is still and then let her down, and then give her a treat. She's allowed to be angry after handling, but I don't think bunnies should get in the habit of getting their way all the time, also jumping out of your arms when they are upset is to be discouraged in case of a serious situation (like at the vet). Also, try to get your bun in the habit of being cradled in a blanket and tipped on it's back, so you can easily trim their nails. I tell you, once I taught my rabbits this trick, I stopped getting the bejesus kicked out of me.
Recently, Sadie has learned 'No' but it was completely by accident. I have a sprayer for one of my cats that picks on my older male cat (her dad), and I spray her occasionally when she is too rough with him. Sadie was trying to bite a computer cord, and I freaked out and sprayed her. Turns out the spray bottle is a good deterrent.
Bribery is the best way to get what you want out of any rabbit, but you might try the spray bottle for your aggressive male if he tries to bite or scratch you again. LOL

Thanks for the tip, and the male isn't aggressive at all, he just struggles a lot and doesn't mean to hurt me. :)

I'll try some of those tips with training them, thanks again for the help.

I haven't read what everyone answered. Your bunny sounds completely normal to me. She's not a baby anymore so she's more distant than before. A lot of babies will let themselves be held and will lick you while adults generally don't. She approaches you, she lets you pet her and she flops around you, that displays quite a lot of trust. Your relationship IS good already. Rabbits aren't dogs or cats, they are skittish and aside from a few exceptions, they won't cuddle with you or express a lot of affection towards you (Aki will lick me... but it's only because she's a clever girl and caters to my whims so that I'll release her).
So... yeah, you expect too much. Besides, as people have probably pointed out, around 18 weeks is a terrible age. Hormones don't help, even if clearly your bunny isn't that hormonal (I mean, she could be charging, grunting, biting, scratching and peeing on you right now so you should consider youself lucky).

Okay, thanks Aki,I figured I was expecting too much from her, and I may have jinxed myself yesterday because today she was chinning her new cardboard box playhouse I made to dig into but we'll see, everyone gave me some good advice so thanks again. :)

Latest posts

Back