Feed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatkiidsean

Reaction score
I called my local feed store and they got a shipment of Hay in and its a mix of alfalfa and timothy I know alfalfa is good for young rabbits but bad for adult rabbits and vise versa but what would this be acceptable:bunny19 or find another place?

How old is your bunny, or bunnies? You might be able to get away with lucerne/alfalfa hay up to 12 months, if it's a mix, but anything older than that I'd stay away from.

The bun that I will get will probably be around 2-4 months. What is the best hay to feed them? Is this mixture okay? When it turns into an adult, would it have to switch to 100% Timothy hay?

It should just get Timothy hay, they can have alfalfa until they're about 6 to 8 months but it's not necessary. I usually only provide alfalfa when they're under 12 weeks.

Yes, as an adult you would need to completely remove the alfalfa and stick with 100% timothy hay or some other sort of grass hay.

What are other kinds of grass hays? If I get a kit that is used to alfalfa hay how do i wean them of it and onto Timothy or other grass hay?

Just feed a mix, slowly reducing the alfalfa hay until there's none. I fed mine alfalfa up to around 6 months, alongside normal hay, so when we switched to 100% normal hay it was easy. :)

You mix the alfalfa with timothy to wean them from alfalfa. Even so, Jovi never really never took too much of the timothy. With my new elop guy, I'm moving straight in to timothy. I give him lots of forage from outside, grass, dandelion and some clover, so I feel like he's getting the richness of alfalfa that way.

What are other kinds of grass hays?

I know some people use orchard grass hay, I think bermuda hay is another. Some people are allergic to certain types of hay so they have to use another kind, and some bunnies don't like timothy either so they try different things until they find one their bunny really likes :)

Some hays tend to be considered less healthy, such as oaten (higher in carbs I think?) or alfafa (for adult rabbits), but I don't think any are poisonous.

Latest posts

Back