We might be having babies after all!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neejchee

Reaction score
Some of you may remember me posting in December asking about the possibility of my female rabbit getting pregnant between the sex change fairy visiting and me realising that Samantha was actually Samuel. It turned out to be a false pregnancy, which I am thankful for because aside from the fact that I didn't plan to breed them, Miranda was only 4 months and despite being a good size for her age I was very worried. She built an impressive nest, and then a couple of days later she went back to normal. It was interesting actually, because although she doesn't like to be ignored and will climb on people to toss phones awa y or put her face between yours and the TV, she doesn't usually like to be picked up or stay in laps for snuggles. About a week or so before she made her nest she got super duper affectionate, wanting cuddles all the time and was quite content to snuggle for an hour or more at a time. Then when she got past the false pregnancy she went back to being her snooty attitude filled self.

Sammy was booked in for his neutering and until then they were separated, with one little slip-up. One afternoon it was hot, so I came out to bring Sammy inside (he and Miranda trade out, one inside and one out at a time) and found that my 6 year old had already decided it was too hot and brought him in but hadn't set up separate pens. I split them immediately and hoped Sammy had still been too much of a princess to get the job done, but this time I think he may have figured it out.

If she is pregnant, today would be day 23. She's got a tubby belly on her (you can feel the big belly but not see it under her fur), though admittedly she does LOVE her food so it could be that! She's also again become super snugly, which is absolutely lovely but a bit worrying! At least she's that bit older now - she will be 6 months on the 23rd - but I am still somewhat hoping this is another false pregnancy and she has just been eating too much! She's been booked in for her spaying that week!

If we do end up with mini-Mirandas and mini-Sammys I'll be sure to put pictures up here. I still have no idea what a solid black with a chocolate buck would produce with a broken orange or potentially sooty fawn (her coat is changing) would actually produce.

Sammy was booked in for his neutering and until then they were separated, with one little slip-up. One afternoon it was hot, so I came out to bring Sammy inside (he and Miranda trade out, one inside and one out at a time) and found that my 6 year old had already decided it was too hot and brought him in but hadn't set up separate pens. I split them immediately and hoped Sammy had still been too much of a princess to get the job done, but this time I think he may have figured it out.

Kids, heh. You can't scold 'em for something like that, but it's a real *facepalm* moment! The fact that a six year old shows so much concern and compassion for a pet bunny that they take initiative to bring him inside from the heat is impressive and praise-worthy... and failing to instinctively consider the "birds and the bees" aspect of the situation is par for the course at such a young age (though when adults do it, I kind of want to smack them :p).

Ah, well. If you end up with kits, I hope they're all healthy, happy and adorable!

She's lovely with the rabbits. The facepalm aspect was mostly my own stupidity in not expecting it; I often get up in the morning to find she has switched them over so the other can have outside time, refilled their hay, pellets and water and often cleaned out their litter trays if she thinks they're stinky. She also can't handle them wanting snuggles and not getting them, so she's often sitting on her bed or a couch snuggling one or both of them. Most of the time my biggest concern with her and the rabbits is whether she's given them too much carrot whilst I'm not looking. It really was very stupid of me to not realise she would want to keep both of them inside as soon as it got hot. The mating issue wouldn't have crossed her mind because she thinks the humping is fighting, because when it first started I thought they were both girls so separated them when it got a bit much and explained that it was so they didn't hurt each other.

I remember reading about Miranda and Sammy! I actually told the story to a few friends. :p

Hopefully it's another false pregnancy, since it sounds like that would be the most ideal option for you... part of me selfishly hopes it is real, though, because I want to see their tiny kits! Sorry!

It is so sweet that your daughter cares so much for the bunnies. Gives me hope for the future, lol.

As for babies, I hope mom and kits are healthy if she is preggers and if she isn't.....yay! Lol

While it may have resulted in bunny kits, you should be so very proud of your daughter! She already is a very responsible (though unknowing about the bunny "birds & bees" lol) young lady! Wish more young children were half that responsible & caring of animals as your daughter. Give her a bunny hug for me & my bunny girls, Faith & Hope! Best wishes for the buns & possible kits! Keep us posted!

Your 6 year old daughter sounds to be more mature and responsible than some individuals 5 times her age! What a proud mama you must be to have such a wonderful, thoughtful child.

If Miranda is pregnant, I am certain that her kits will be given the appropriate care. You appear to be a thoughtful, conscientious owner and, with your daughter as your helper, there is no doubt that the babies would be given much love and snuggles.

Please keep us updated and ask as many questions as you need to about what to expect and how to move forward if she is, in fact, pregnant. And, if not, be sure that there will be people to help you through her spay as well. Good luck with whatever happens next!

I have thought Chica was preggers a few times and can actually get her to stand on her two hind legs for me to rub her tummy and feel NOPE no babies just tons of pellets and cilantro! At times she pigs out and has me worries that something has happened but for your sake I hope nothing has and you should be proud of your daughter that she was worried about the buns getting heat stroke!

Vanessa

I often get up in the morning to find she has switched them over so the other can have outside time, refilled their hay, pellets and water and often cleaned out their litter trays if she thinks they're stinky.

She sounds like me when I was little, always tending to animals! She's more responsible than many adults I've had the misfortune of meeting. Can I borrow her to show the idiots in my apartment complex the result of *good* parenting? :p (The little brats in two apartments behind mine have NO manners and are a bane on my existence; their parents are even worse.)

I am very proud of her. She can have a feral teenager's attitude at times and is too smart for her own good (or at least for mine!) But she's golden at the core.

This afternoon we went shopping and the poor kid was exhausted, so when we got home I told her to have a bit of a rest while I put away the groceries. When I finished I found this:

Great pics, would love mine to stay still long enough to be able to do that. Lovely bunnies :)

Sammy in particular will always stay still for it. He's her bedtime bunny. Goes with her at bedtime, hops one or two laps of the bed and then settles down to sleep/rest until she's asleep and I take him back to the family room. Evenwhen she has asthma and has coughing fits it doesn't phase him, he just ignores it until she's done and then gets up to lick her face a bit before settling back down. They have a pretty special bond. Miranda is generally much too active for that, although even she knows that after a brief exploration Addisyn's bed is a sleeping place. My bed is a new and exciting jungle to explore, but Addi's is for sleep. She just won't rest for long enough to be a bedtime bunny; she gets up after 10 minutes and wants to leave, whereas Sammy will resettle there for up for an hour happily, as long as he's close to Addi. Sometims she moves to the other end of the bed to cough and then just cashes there, and he always gets up to move back over to her within a minute or two. This was last night:

(Sammy likes to "fix" clothing so Addi wears very little of it to bed, and it was also stupidly hot here)

I'm very fascinated about whats going on with your rabbits, how she got pregnant but not with her bond mate. I've seen your replies in a number of threads so I have to actively chase around to hear the whole story so keep letting us know whats going on.

Good luck! By the way your daughter sounds, she will be super excited if your bunny is going to have kits. It should teach responsibility (even though your daughter sounds extremely responsible) I would love to hear more. Keep us posted!

I've now started a bunny blog to keep the updates all together, and to have a place for daily baby photos! :D

Latest posts

Back