Shedding!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ana_The_Dreamer

Reaction score
Nessa has been shedding a lot over the past month. Everytime I pet her or pick her up a cloud of fur goes everywhere. It seems that my whole house is covered in an inch of rabbit fur. I'm brushing her everyday (sometimes twice a day) and it seems to help, but not much. It's getting a bit annoying. Is there anything else I can do besides brushing to help with the amount of fur?

Sometimes excessive shedding can be associated with stress- recent trip to the vets/moving house/ an accident etc. Has anything new or stressful happened recently?
Could just be to do with the seasons- rabbits can have heavy moults a few times a year with the seasons and as it's coming to summer now it could be to do with that.
Are you using a comb as well as a brush? Sometimes I find parting the hair and combing in sections can get out a LOT of dead hair.

Jen

When I moved house benji went through months of shedding like crazy and I had the same problem- just hair everywhere in a big explosion. It got so bad that he started to go quite bald and wiry in patches. I took him to the vets and she didn't really have an answer for me, so I just continued brushing him and after 3 or 4 months it's finally settled down. But I completely understand your frustration!!

Jen

Rabbits shed a lot during a certain time u should keep up what u are doing and keep brushing so she doesn't get hair balls and choke

Are you using a comb as well as a brush? Sometimes I find parting the hair and combing in sections can get out a LOT of dead hair.

Jen
Oh! Good idea with the comb parting the hair! I did that today and it helped a lot more than just brushing alone. Sorry I didn't reply until now. Sadly, Nessa is shedding just as much as when I posted this, I've come to the conclusion that she is just going through a seasonal molt. Oy. I will be glad when she's through with it.

Might I add that if your bunny does not appreciate the groom, place your hand gently on his/her head so you don't get the quick nip.

Latest posts

Back