My Allergic Reaction

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deapea

Reaction score
Well today was the day my daughter has been looking forward to for a long time. We were suppose to get our new bunny, today. I got all the stuff we needed for a great set up, and headed out for the hour long trip to the shelter the bunny was at.

When I got there, he was sweeter than I imagined. A great laid back bunny, for the most part. I was petting on him and about 30 seconds into it, my hands felt like they were on FIRE. So I went to wash them. Came back, and tried again. Same result. My hands were burning and had welts. I was so disappointed. There was one point in it where he got nervous and darted to the corner of his cage and started to dart at me until I jerked my hand out real fast....then he laid down on his side and allowed me to pet on him again.

I thought he was a really neat rabbit. Most of the redness is now gone, I had one welt blister up.

About a month ago, I took Naomi to a rabbit show. I wanted to see how interested she seemed, and to make sure she was not allergic (since she has asthma and is allergic to cats). She did not have a rabbit allergy come up on her allergy test, but I wanted to make sure. She did fine there. I did notice that I got a little sneezy and congested, but I figured that it was because there was 3,000 rabbits there, and that was the reason why. Three thousand of any animal could irritate most people, I think.... So I dismissed it.

I felt horrible when I had to tell my daughter that we could not adopt the rabbit. It broke my heart to see her so heart broken.

I am so sorry :( You did so much research and you and your daughter really deserved to have that bunny!

Yes, I agree with you. But I also feel like it was a real blessing that I found out before I got the bunny home.

I also had some of my skin turn a deep purplish color. I have never had anything like this happen to me before. It was really weird.

There were a couple other bunnies that were seriously cute and sweet. I could not resist giving them some love, even though my hands felt like they were on fire.

Aww, that's so sad :( I agree about the possibility of trying for a mini rex, both rex cats and rabbits have a tendency to cause less allergies. However if your reaction was really that severe it could be difficult.

You could try a mini rex/ rex rabbits their fur doesn't produce as much allergens.

Aww, that's so sad :( I agree about the possibility of trying for a mini rex, both rex cats and rabbits have a tendency to cause less allergies. However if your reaction was really that severe it could be difficult.

The rabbit I had the reaction to is a mini-rex. I'm really bummed. But it is what it is and I'm just glad that I found out before I got it home and my child became attached to him. She has a friend that has rabbits, that she can enjoy any time she is over there. We will find another way to reward her excellent grades from this last school year.

I'm just really bummed. We were really looking forward to it. He is a neat rabbit and I really hope someone adopts him.

The lady working there suggested that I try a lion head. She said her mom is allergic to all rabbits except lion heads. There was an angora (possibly angora mix) rabbit there that I loved on, but I could not tell if he made it worse as my hands were so inflamed at that point.

It was really bad contact dermatitis. I had purple streaks on my skin and welts. One of the welts blistered, and is now scabbed.

It does sound like you have a sever allergy, maybe talking to your doctor on solutions would be your better option. I have to take allergy meds to keep my bunny.

Allergies dictated us taking two of our bunnies back--the people didn't know they were allergic to bunnies. I have asthma and also very allergic to cats but am fine around bunnies and Nancy does all the hay or else I have to wear gloves. So sorry to hear about your problem.

I am so sorry to hear that she is allergic 😭maybe u can try getting a different pet

Back