Hutch?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apautienus

Reaction score
So I was wondering if I should house my rabbit in an outdoor hutch or a indoor cage... I live around Nashville TN, so weather can be unpredictable and seasons can be extreme... snow falls at least once a year (sometimes heavy). I am planning on getting a holland lop, and maybe breeding it. Normally I would automatically put it in my house, but the possibility of me breeding it and there not being enough room in a cage makes me wonder if it would be ok or not to put my bunny outside (I don't really want to move my bunny from inside to outside if I breed, I hear bunnies generally don't like moving and pregnancy emotions would make it worse)

They live happily outdoors or indoors, there are pros and cons of each. If you want your rabbit to be near you and possibly have a better bond with you then I would suggest indoors. If you plan on breeding then you could house it outdoors, I do know people who breed and have them indoors but I'm not sure how much space you have.

Last edited:
I would more concerned about the heat and humidity. Bunnies are more sensitive to heat than to cold. Heatstroke can come at 80-85F (especially in humidity which makes it feel hotter).

I don't know your background with rabbits, but do you have experience with breeding? What would be the purpose of breeding? Are you trying to improve on the breed line? I don't know if you are new to rabbits and just think it would be fun to breed a rabbit. If so, here is an article worth reading that has some worthy considerations...

http://www.rabbitadoption.org/breed.html

They should be find outside if you take the proper precautions (provide frozen water bottles, ice cold water, shade, air movement)

Breeding is fine if you do it responsibly. You should take into consideration the link that Blue Eyes provided but that link says why not to breed, many people are against breeding. In my opinion, if you are responsible breeding is fine.

Your summers couldn't be any worse than ours. While it's true that 85 degrees can result in heatstroke, that's mainly for rabbits who aren't acclimated to hotter temps. With precautions, rabbits can handle higher temps, if they're used to it. One thing you don't want to do is breed during the higher temps.

Latest posts

Back