Shedding question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lily2521

Reaction score
We are thinking of getting a rabbit. I'm curious as to the amount of hair overall that would be in our home. We've had cats in the past (our cat passed away, our home is pet free right now), it is comparable to that?

I know they go through a molt several times a year, and we'd do extra grooming during those times to help control the hair, but outside of those times, how much hair overall is around?

FWIW the rabbit will not free range, they'd be caged during the day, with time out in a controlled, supervised area in the AM and PM, so they won't be all over the house.

I'm just wondering about the overall hair situation if we bring a rabbit into our home. I know we'll have some, but to what extent? The cat we had shed like crazy, all the time, it was always on our clothes and everywhere.

Thanks

When I first held my rabbit before adopting him, I was terrified because he was shedding so much. However, after I brought him home I noticed that he was barely shedding. Often times you'll find little bits of hair where he/she lies down the most, but nothing too serious. That's just in my situation, I'm not sure about others.

Often depends on the buns hair coat. I have a rex and he hardly lets loose hair and then I have a mini lop who has longer fur and has yet to molt but he will molt more hair. So in conclusion it all depends on the hair length. Hope I heleped XOXO Chester & Blue

This does help, thank you. We don't know what specific breed we will be getting, but more than likely we will look for a short haired, like a Rex or mini Rex.

I was watching a video and they were brushing their rabbit, and hair was flying everywhere so it freaked me out a bit! Although, they did say that rabbit was in the middle of a molt.

Sounds like it won't be any worse than a typical house cat, which I can handle. Thanks!

I have a mini lop and she doesn't shed too crazily. Sometimes I will find a bit but then other times I won't. But overall it's not too bad.

And yes when they moult there will be a lot but that's not always.

My girl is in an exercise pen when I'm not home and when I am, she's allowed to free roam. Just make sure your bun gets at least 4 hours a day to exercise.

They are very loving pets and they reward you with so much affectionate. But just remember they do need quite a lot of attention and time 😊🐰

This does help, thank you. We don't know what specific breed we will be getting, but more than likely we will look for a short haired, like a Rex or mini Rex.

I was watching a video and they were brushing their rabbit, and hair was flying everywhere so it freaked me out a bit! Although, they did say that rabbit was in the middle of a molt.

Sounds like it won't be any worse than a typical house cat, which I can handle. Thanks!

Haha yea youre welcome :) & sorry for your passed kitty ): amd yes for people with allergies I recommend rexs as they have different hair then the average its something with the way thier hair grows. XOXO Chester&Blue

I find it can be quite variable. As a general rule, when he's not shedding, Bandit doesn't lose much fur at all. However when he's shedding, which can take up to 2 months, and on one occasion happened twice in a row (with a week in between) he loses fur like he's 10 rabbits :p Most rabbits aren't that bad though I don't think and only shed twice a year and shed in a very short space of time (my first rabbit hardly lost any fur). I would say they're probably much the same as a cat.

I have a mini lop and she doesn't shed too crazily. Sometimes I will find a bit but then other times I won't. But overall it's not too bad.

And yes when they moult there will be a lot but that's not always.

My girl is in an exercise pen when I'm not home and when I am, she's allowed to free roam. Just make sure your bun gets at least 4 hours a day to exercise.

They are very loving pets and they reward you with so much affectionate. But just remember they do need quite a lot of attention and time 😊🐰

We plan to make sure to get a large pen or hutch for the daytime, and the bun would probably have 5-6 hours a day outside of the pen, even more on some days. Thanks for the advice :)

Haha yea youre welcome :) & sorry for your passed kitty ): amd yes for people with allergies I recommend rexs as they have different hair then the average its something with the way thier hair grows. XOXO Chester&Blue

This is good to know. We actually have an appointment with our allergist on Monday to get testing done for rabbits, to see if we can get one (that's why we don't have one yet!) Allergic to both cats and dogs, so hoping a bunny might be the perfect pet for us. We'll see (fingers crossed for good allergy testing results!)

This is good to know. We actually have an appointment with our allergist on Monday to get testing done for rabbits, to see if we can get one (that's why we don't have one yet!) Allergic to both cats and dogs, so hoping a bunny might be the perfect pet for us. We'll see (fingers crossed for good allergy testing results!)

It will probably also be worth your while to make sure you're not allergic to hay then either. Although depending on your location, if you live in the USA, there's so many different types of hay available that you're likely to find at least one that you don't react to if you are allergic.

Best of luck with the allergy test. My fiance is allergic to cats, rabbits, dogs and dog saliva, but he loves pets too much so he just kind of puts up with it :p

It will probably also be worth your while to make sure you're not allergic to hay then either. Although depending on your location, if you live in the USA, there's so many different types of hay available that you're likely to find at least one that you don't react to if you are allergic.

Best of luck with the allergy test. My fiance is allergic to cats, rabbits, dogs and dog saliva, but he loves pets too much so he just kind of puts up with it :p

I have a note to ask the allergist about the hay as well. I didn't know how that worked, since there's different kinds, I know timothy hay is the main one people go to, but I also have written down orchard, oat, and Bermuda as other options. I don't know how they'd do the test for hay (assuming they can), but I am definitely doing to talk with the allergist about it. I'll be sad if not aren't allergic to the bun but are to the hay! I don't know what we'll do in that case.

My bunny sheds quite a bit, but I would definitely not say more than the average house cat. As a general rule, I vacuum like twice a week and manage to pick up like a palm sized ball of fur. She has a somewhat long coat though and she's only 7 months old, so it may have something to do with growing.

Latest posts

Back