Concerned about my female rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitlover08

Reaction score
I have two pet bunnies, approximately 4 years old I believe.. When I got them around 3 years ago they were almost fully grown I'd say so I'm really unsure of their exact age, although that does make me very curious from time to time.. My one female rabbit is a little shy and paranoid sometimes. They both don't come out of their cage too often unless to eat food or play in the fort I made them from boxes. I've never really been able to handle them, I would like to, and it makes it difficult for cutting their nails etc. I try to respect they're comfort zones but do need to be in control when it comes to grooming and nail trimming etc, so need to maybe be a little more assertive about it is the word?

Anyway, my female has an arch on her back and appears to almost be hunchbacked. I can feel her spine very easily and it feels so delicate, her shoulder blades are also very easy to feel. I notice she has her head down sometimes as if the curve in her back makes it hard for her to bend her head back...

I've looked into spinal deformations and have came across a few terms that may describe her condition on a site called medirabbit.

It does seem like this has progressed since I first got her, I never really noticed how bony she felt in the past. She eats a lot of pellets and weighs a little more than average so I'm sure it has nothing to do with being too skinny. I do think it could be a lack of muscle on her back from lack of exercise.

She gets around fine, though it seems like she doesn't hop the same way she used to. I recently moved to an apartment around 8 months ago in the city and they both seem to be less happy than they used to be, as before we lived in the country and I took them outside to play and they loved that.

I rarely see them binky or run around anymore and this make me upset. I try to maintain a close relationship with them but still think they're unsure of me and don't trust me 100% as I try to pick them up sometimes etc.

Anyway, her spine seems very fragile and her shoulder area. I've had her to the vet and they didn't say much except that they could take X rays. I also had tested for parasites a few months ago.

I'm aware that spinal deformations are more common with female rabbits but am unsure what to do at this point besides getting X rays done, which I can not afford right now but am desperate to do ASAP.

I'm worried she could have a tumor on her spine, or just a very skinny back as of lately for some reason. The arch dips at her neck, then rises closer to the top of her back and then almost goes down at a 70 degree angle.. she looks very uncomfortable sometimes. I feel like I don't know what to do having no money. I've never liked taking my pets to the vets as I don't trust how they handle them, behind closed doors etc. Knowing how rabbits are so fragile.

Sometimes she will sit and stare at me as if to say I want something, or help me out here before it's too late please!! And I feel so bad and get depressed and they notice that and become upset, she seen like this for almost over a year now and I don't know what to do. I feel like an idiot, unresponsoble pet owners for not doing something sooner. She has been fine the whole time and I realize it's not an "emergency" but lateky I'm feeling I should make this a priority and an urgent matter to get her checked out. I'll need to get a loan somehow. I'm 21 and single living on my own and can barely afford the basic needs at this time.

If anyone could provide further assistance or advice, or if anyone has dealt with issue like this than please let me know. I've uploaded some photos too.. Not the best pictures to show what I mean but a few are taken at okay angles.

Very sorry for making this so long! I haven't been active for awhile now so figured I would provide some insight on me and my rabbits situation..

In the meantime, I'll encourage exercise, and try to make an appointment as soon as possible. I feel horrible for not doing anything sooner, and believe me I would do anything for these guys, they're my true best friends and always will be..

Thank you so much in advance for any help or recommendations

EDIT: The link to the spinal deformations I was referring to

http://www.medirabbit.com/Radiography/Spine/Spine_def.htm

IMG_20150516_192735.jpg

IMG_20150315_230438.jpg

IMG_20150215_001121.jpg

IMG_20141013_232447.jpg

IMG_20141009_205515.jpg

IMG_20141127_011146.jpg

IMG_20150126_053848.jpg

Last edited:
That does look very arched. It could be either of the things you mentioned. Keep encouraging her to be actives me some toys for her to play with... A toilet roll with hay or treats inside. Let her roam in your apartment and for the spine deformation the vet is the only option :( is she has had since she was young it probably is a spine deformation or another spinal issue that occurs to younger rabbits and continues and gets worse.

Best of luck for you and your rabbit :)

Your rabbit may have osteoarthritis, spondyliosis, or it may be some other spinal deformity. Pain management will be the primary treatment and can actually make a big difference when a sufficient dose is given. When the pain is controlled, this can often give an uncomfortable and subdued rabbit a new lease on life.
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Osteoarthritis_rabbits.htm
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Spinal_abnormalities_rabbits.htm

Xrays would be able to confirm whether or not there is a spinal issue, however it isn't always completely necessary to have them done in order for a good rabbit vet to determine a spinal problem and help your rabbit. Palpation of the spine can give a vet an idea of whether or not there is some deformity or discomfort. Vets can prescribe pain medication based on symptoms presented without the xrays, and see how the rabbit responds to the pain relief and if it is helpful. Meloxicam is a common anti inflammatory used for pain relief in rabbits. Sometimes something stronger such as tramadol, may also be prescribed.

If you aren't comfortable with your current vet, I would be looking for another if at all possible. One that is very experienced with rabbits and one you feel you can trust. I would never let a rabbit of mine into a back room without me, except for xrays to be taken, and especially if I didn't feel comfortable and trust the vet. If you can't find a different vet, I would at least speak to your current one and ask if you could try a test period of metacam/meloxicam for your rabbit, to see if it helps. It is important that the vet prescribes a dose that will be helpful, as many inexperienced vets will underdose the metacam. Common dosage used for rabbits is 0.3-0.6mg/kg, once or twice a day, though up to 1.5mg/kg once a day, can be used short term. Twice a day dosing seems to produce the best results. If you do end up giving metacam long term, it will be much cheaper to order a larger bottle of it online.
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Meloxicam.htm
http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Thank you for the advice guys. If I did decide to administer the metacam, how would I determine whether or not to keep administering the medication? Just see how she acts and if she becomes more playful or seems happier all of a sudden than keep giving it to her? I really would prefer to not make her a drugged up bunny for her entire life if that could be avoided.

Has anyone heard of chiropractic treatments for rabbits? I would be quite concerned about this as well, rabbits having such fragile skeletal systems, but I have heard of it before and that it can help. Definitely not going to risk that however unless it would be 100% safe and if it would be of any help at all.

Would there be many negative side effects of administering the metacam long term?

And yeah I'm not sure there are many experienced rabbit vets in my area unless I went to a larger city such as Ottawa or even Toronto. I did some research before I moved to the city I'm now in to find a "rabbit savvy" vet and the veterinarian I'm currently with was recommended on a list of rabbit veterinarians in the area, though when I met her she seems quite old school and didn't really consider my opinion or let me speak. Some vets have a policy that only staff can go in the back rooms and when you question that or say you would like to go to the back with your animal they feel offended, at least in my experience which is why I don't like to deal with many vets. The ones I've dealt with seem to be in it for the money and I feel like just another customer, nothing more. Not the best with developing a good relationship with someone like that but I do try at the time. I also am very wary with anything to do with another person and my rabbits.

I'll make another appointment and try to find the best vet possible and have her examined thoroughly, and inquire about medication and X rays. I guess that's all I can do besides encourage her to exercise more often. Thanks guys

Last edited:
Hi, I also wanted to see if anyone thinks that it's bad to keep rabbits in a 2 storey cage? They have to jump up and down on a ramp that's on a 45 degree angle, the jump isn't high (I'd say 6-10 inches. But doing this multiple times a day could put stress on their joints? Should I look into getting a new cage? I built this one myself a while back but got thinking this could be an issue... Thanks again!

All of my buns (except 2) have double story cages. They are happy and healthy and I see no problem but with older buns I tend to give them a cage where they don't need to jump up a ramp and it's only 1 story :)

Thanks. I also wanted to give more insight into her condition; I was feeling her back last night and I can almost grab her shoulder blade, it sticks out that much, it almost feels like the spine may protrude through the skin it is so delicate to touch and feels very bony. I'm worried it could be an abscess or a tumour that has gradually developed, possibly? When she lays down it feels like her spine is rubbing against her shoulder blade.

I don't know if she is in pain. I have some metacam left over from before. Do I just contact my vet to get her weight record to determine the amount of metacam to give? Give it one time and see how she reacts? Would staying on metacam long term cause any issues?

I want her to live a long happy healthy life and want to make the best decisions here. I'm aware I already screwed up and should have got this checked awhile ago but figured she was okay and just had a lack of muscle on her back, that being due to a lack of exercise. Money is also tight and the vets aren't of help IMO, as I've mentioned this before and they said "it could just be how she is built, and if she is getting around okay it shouldn't be an issue, if she does require medication they said they could prescribe that" Maybe she has calcium deficiency? I want to get this figured out as of now but am not sure how to administer the medication or to know how often to give it to her. Long term, try it out see how she reacts... A lot of possibilities but want to make sure she will be okay! Any more advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Metacam is just an anti inflammatory pain reliever, so basically like ibuprofen. It won't have any sedation effects. You basically administer it orally at home, and after a few days evaluate if your rabbit has responded favorably to it. If you haven't noticed an improvement, your vet can up the dosage to see if that helps. I know of many rabbits that have been prescribed it long term for their arthritis issues, and it has improved their function. Your vet would probably want to do a blood test at some point, to ensure good kidney function, as metacam may have some effect on the kidneys. If you want to give metacam you have on hand, you will need to contact your vet as it is a prescription medication. If you have already had your rabbit seen for this condition, then the vet should be able to just give you dosage info over the phone, without having to bring your rabbit in to be seen. You should also be able to get a new prescription of metacam when needed without paying for a new office appointment, if the vet already said they could prescribe some medication for this.

I don't know about chiropractic, but I know some have had acupuncture done. Some it seems to help, some not.

Only you can determine if she is behaving normally and getting around ok. Rabbits will slow down some when they get old, and that is just normal old age, but doesn't necessarily mean they need medication. But if you feel that she is more subdued and it is due to discomfort, then trying metacam may be worth a shot, especially if you already have some on hand. If giving a proper dose, you should be able to see results in a few days time.

If your rabbits spine is boney, you need to make sure her body condition is alright. Bones will protrude more if a rabbit is underweight. Though if your rabbit is older, they can naturally just feel more boney along the spine just due to old age, and it can be difficult to keep their weight up. If your rabbit is underweight, you may need to add more protein and calories into her diet.

I've been to vets that were like that, were very condescending and didn't really consider what I had to say. I never went back. If a vet refused to let me accompany my rabbit without very good reason, I would pick up my rabbit and leave. My animals are my responsibility and I'm the one that needs to ensure their safety and care. As much as we would like to believe that we can entrust our animals well being into any vets hands without question, that's just not the case. Most vets don't really have a clue about rabbits, even some that claim to have experience with rabbits still don't know what they are doing. It's important to find a vet that you feel comfortable with and have confidence in. Though I know that's easier said than done. Sometimes there isn't a choice and you just have to pick the best vet available.

If your rabbit really does have arthritis or spinal issues, I would think that jumping up and down levels could be very difficult and uncomfortable. I know my old rabbit with arthritis doesn't jump up and down on things anymore. Though I don't limit her from jumping up on things. She just can't do it anymore. I would think that if jumping up and down was uncomfortable for your bun, that she would naturally choose not to do it anymore. As long as she doesn't have to do it to get to anything important(food, water, litter box) then I don't know that you need to change anything unless you feel like it's an issue.

Jbun you're amazing, I really appreciate the help. Are the only ways to really diagnose a spinal abnormality or arthritis are by getting an X ray done?

I am unsure if she is in pain or not, but sometimes she will sit in a hunched position. I will give metacam if needed, but am worried of the risks that pose from administering a medication long term, effects on the kidneys etc.. She has had metacam before when she was spayed.

I also feel that it may be difficult to be able to tell if the medication is helping and if there is an improvement? She still runs around and plays fine, so I should just look for signs of more activity and overall happiness or "feeling better" signs?

I received some metacam around 2 weeks ago for my other male rabbit who was acting a little slow and not eating his treats or vegetables. He ended up being fine, maybe he was just lazy at the time, I took him to the vet and everything was okay. He didn't tske the medication. There is 0.5ml per syringe.

Could I just contact the vet and get my female rabbits weight, do the calculations mg./kg and administer what I have to see how she reacts? And if it does seem to help, keep administering every day for the rest of her life...? It just seems quite misleading and I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing and not giving medication if I don't have to. If it does help and giving the metacam long term would be the right thing to do than I will just order some online as you suggested.

She does seem skinny around her sides and back and I have heard of pain leading to anorexia but she does eat quite a bit and weighs more than average I believe.. I'll try to encourage exercise as much as possible, find the best vet possible and make some arrangements to their cage for now...

Last edited:
Hi,

If anyone could assist me with any further help that would be great. I have a few more concerns

I know that it's my call and only I can decide, but do you think it would be worth trying to give my female bunny some metacam or should I try to get Xrays first and/or diagnose the problem? She still does get around and play fine, I think exercise may really help to develop more muscle on her back area if I can encourage that, I've recently made them a big fort with cardboard boxes and blankets and they love it.

It almost appears that her spinal arch starts at a steep angle from her bum when she's (sitting tall) and goes straight up, then arches around her shoulders that ends with a little dip by her neck. I haven't been able to recognize to many conditions similar to this while searching online, besides spondylosis which also states that non cancerous tumour like growths can develop in the spinal column..

I just figure that she still gets around okay and plays, seems lazy sometimes which I could mistake for pain or something similar but if I do try administering some metacam, I should do that for a few days and see how she responds? Wouldn't hurt to try? And if she does seem better keep administering daily for the rest of her life? I'm just not sure how to go about this and want to make sure I do it correctly, I just hope that no placebo affect could take place and by some chance I think she's feeling better from it, and keep giving it when really it may not be required...

If someone or if anyone here has has experiences with similar situations and could recommend a way to go about this that would be greatly appreciated. I just want to make sure that what I do will make a difference and help if there is a problem.

I have got her weight record from the vet and she weighs 6.45 pounds.. The metacam for my last rabbit was in mL. 0.5 mL a syringe, and it says to administer one syringe daily for 24 hours, this was for my other male rabbit but would the same dosage apply or should I determine the dosage by exact wright, and translate the mL to mg, and the lbs to kg as Jbun mentioned? I will be getting X rays asap as well

Thanks in advance to whoever can be of assistance

Last edited:
Also if I do administer the metacam should I give it daily or only a few times a week? I did some research online and it shows that once or twice a week should be enough. If she is in pain or has inflammation I would like to be of help as fast as possible and I also read that it takes a few days for the inflammatory effects to work.. I'm not sure if that would be when administering daily or a few times a week however, I'm guessing it may take a few doses to really help

Also! I have heard about "Arnica Montana" being a good homeopathic alternative to metacam without the side effects. Has anyone heard of this?

I honestly think the best thing you can do for her is take her to a vet and make sure you know what is wrong with her and then figure out how best to treat it. Without knowing for sure, you might not be giving her the proper treatment or even be hindering her getting better. Her reluctance to play and exercise might very well be a sign that she is in pain, as a prey animal she will do her best to hide all signs of sickness and pain so that really is a big red flag to me. I wish you good luck and hope the best for you!

Thank you Broken Mermaid, unfortunately I don't have the money for an expensive appointment that would probably involve X- rays etc at this time, I just had them at the vets around two months ago for a check up and the vet didn't comment much on her spinal condition, besides stating that it could be from a lack of exercise/muscle on the back, poor flooring or just the way her spine developed.

For now I'm looking to know how to go about administering metacam until I can get her to the vet for X rays, which will hopefully be very soon once I have some more cash. Income is low at the moment only working part time and she has had this condition for awhile, me thinking it was just a lack of exercise/muscle and the way her spine developed as well, so I don't see it as a huge emergency as she does seem to be fine overall, though I do feel very bad for not doing something sooner ... : (

She has had metacam before when she was spayed, so I'm just looking to see how I would administer it for now to see how she reacts to the metacam; and if it does help, I may keep her on it until I can get X rays and look into this further.

I'm just unsure if I should administer it daily, once every few days to lessen the risks of affecting the kidneys..

Last edited:
I can understand that, I just wanted to make sure it was clear. :) For the metacam, it will be best to start out with as little as possible so that she doesn't have as much going through her liver and kidneys and just try to figure out how much she needs. I found a study here that may help with figuring out a dose: http://www.iacuc.ucsf.edu/Proc/awRbtFrm.asp

I will add more if I find anything else.

All of these questions you are asking about dosing, medication safety, and if it is appropriate for your rabbit's situation, are all questions that need to be directed to your vet. These are the type of questions that only a vet can give you the answer to. Metacam is a prescription medication, therefore it is not appropriate for us to advise you on whether or not it is ok for you to give to your rabbit without veterinary consent. We can suggest it to you as a medication that is used for pain relief for rabbits, and we can provide you with the info about the commonly used doses, as it is information readily available through an internet search. If you choose to give it to your rabbit without consulting with your vet, that is your decision, but it is not one we can make for you or advise you to do it.

We also can't determine for you whether or not it will affect your rabbits kidneys or not, as kidney function is something that would be determined by a vet doing a blood test. If you choose to not consult with your vet before administering, and don't have a blood test done to ensure good kidney function, then it's a risk you are taking. Your rabbit may be perfectly fine and there may not be any issue with her kidney's, but this is not something that we can determine for you, even a vet can't without the blood test.

As for dosing info, I have already provided the commonly used dosing for rabbits, as well as a veterinary related link to back up the info.
"0.3 - 0.6 mg/kg subcutaneously or orally every 24 hours. "studies have shown that rabbits may require a dose exceeding 0.3 mg/kg every 24 hours to achieve optimal plasma levels of meloxicam over a 24-hour interval and doses of 1.5 mg/kg subcutaneously or orally are well tolerated for 5 days." (BSAVA Small Animal Formulary 6th Edition)
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Meloxicam.htm
For a 6.5 lb rabbit(about 3 kgs), that would translate to approximately 0.9-1.8 mg once or twice a day. If using the cat metacam that contains 0.5mg of meloxicam per ml, it would be 1.8-3.6 ml of the 0.5mg metacam for a 3 kg rabbit To find the best dosage for each rabbit will take a bit of trial and error, as one dosage may be too low for one rabbit, or another rabbit won't need quite as much. One rabbit may need twice or even three times daily dosing, and some may only need it once a day. The recommended dosage range is just a safe dosage baseline for vets to work with to find the right dosage for each individual animal. It is also very important to always ensure dosage has been calculated correctly before administering any medication.

Only you can decide what is going to be best for your rabbit. We can only make some suggestions of what we might do in a similar situation, based on the description and information you give us. But we are not there to see your rabbit and her behavior and cannot decide what is best for you and your rabbit.

As I have mentioned previously, since this condition has already been discussed with your vet in a prior appointment, you should be able to just phone up and say you would like to try the pain relief for your rabbit, that the vet mentioned in the previous office visit. They should be able to get a prescription ready for you to either pick up there or where ever you choose to buy it, without having to bring your rabbit in and without any additional charge besides the charge for the medication itself. If you only want to try the metacam you have at home, you can do the same thing. Phone them and say you would like to try the pain relief that the vet mentioned in your appt. Say you have metacam leftover at home and ask if it is ok to administer and what would be the dosage info. You should not be charged anything, and you will be doing it through your vet which would be the appropriate way.

Thanks guys. I'm aware the obvious thing to do would be to contact the vet, which is what I'll do, but just figured if I could ask here and get the same info it may be easier. I am a newer client at the current vet clinic that I've attended and honestly feel that most vets aren't too experienced with rabbits; I feel that I'm more educated than them and they just reflect on what I already know, though it is true they probably have access to all of the dosage information/scientific aspects of what I may not know.

I usually only involve vets if necessary due to that and the charges. I have heard of past experiences with vets administering the wrong anasethetics etc, not really having much experience with rabbits being a less common pet.

The vet I'm with does seem very direct, but doesn't really let me speak, go figure though; as I'm always somehow tense or worried and asking multiple questions when it involves having to trust someone I really don't know, and some vets really are just in it for the money and consider you just another patient. Sorry for appearing to be negative.

I will contact the vet and inquire about the medication, correct dosages etc, and will have to explain how I'm unsure if she's even in pain, that I won't be able to get X rays until I acquire some more money, when really I should be doing that prior to administering any medication (to find out exactly what the issue is) so it'd just a confusing topic and I'm just trying to figure out the best way to go about it. I do over think everything and am always doing my own research which helps me feel a little more comfortable.
She still gets around fine, but they are around 4-5 years I believe so arthritis could be a factor, also from lack of exercise. They like to hang out in their cage a lot. But I do want to get this under control, get a proper diagnosis and make sure everything is going to be okay and in check with her health.

Thanks for the help again guys, I can post an update once I speak with the vet again and see what she thinks.
Just wanted to get some opinions/rexcomendations on this from other rabbit owners.

Tyler

Latest posts

Back