I need encouragement

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheyrul

Reaction score
Our stray bunny gave birth to the sweetest baby bun on May 30. She actually had two but only one lived and became the sweetest, fattest baby ever.
My family is going through an extremely difficult time are homeless, when Fat Baby Bun was about 12 days old my daughter was holding him and I accidentally bumped her and he fell out of her hands. It looked like he had a seizure but recovered and was hopping all over the place shortly after. Prior to our housing crisis this baby bunny became therapy for my kids, the youngest is 11, a huge source of comfort and remained such a joy to us.
Friday night my daughter was holding him again when climbed up to her shoulder and again fell.
Now he (or she) does not appear to be able to have full use its hind legs. We have prayed and prayed and he is supposed to see a vet through a friend tomorrow. He seems to have some use of his hind legs but not full control. Is peeing and pooping normally, still nursing and eating normally. Still wants constant attention and to give constant attention.
Things are going be fine , right?

It's good he's still eating and potty-ing normally.
It's hard to tell if he's going to be alright and come around to completely normal without seeing a veterinarian unfortunately.
Is he doing any better today?

He may be fine with help and support. Please don't let any children hold him without sitting down though. Especially now, he is very fragile and as I'm sure you've noticed very good at wiggling free. I'm sending positive thoughts and prayers your way, I know how tough it is to be without a home. *hugs*

I hope that the little one will be alright ... I would be bringing the little one to the Vet, if their process doesn't improve ( IMO )

w/ being held again, sit them down and make sure that there is something soft under them, in case that this happens again

they are fragile ( as mentioned already ). I look at them as a new born infant, would you drop them ... ?

Because he has some function still in his hind legs, it's possible he may regain full function. It's likely the injury caused inflammation that pressed on the spine. Usually in this type of injury a steroid injection may be given to bring this inflammation down. It's best for this to occur within the same day of the injury, so I don't know if this is something that would still be effective since it's been several days since the accident, but that is something the vet can determine.

Though your bun may still have the possibility to regain full function, you may have to do some physical therapy to help this along and to prevent muscle wasting. You can also discuss this with the vet. Until you see the vet though, you should limit the babies movement and don't handle if at all possible, as if there is still a movement sensitive injury, handling him and too much movement could aggravate it.

You will need to keep an eye on his bum to make sure it is staying clean. Momma bun should help with this, but it may also be necessary to give the bun a butt bath if his bottom becomes soiled.

Here is some information on caring for a disabled rabbit, if you find you need it.
http://mohrs.org/index.php?id=paralysis
http://www.specialbunny.org/special-needs-housing/
http://www.hopperhome.com/Disabled%20Rabbit.htm
http://www.disabledrabbits.com/

He is doing better, still wobbly but moves around on his own well. Still really social, lives attention, especially having his face and ears scratched.
We put him on the bed because he seems to have better traction (cage has newspaper lining the bottom) on blankets and towels. He hops about, comes looking for you and does binkies.
We were not able to get him to a vet, as no one would see us (either did not treat rabbits or would not take payments, sliding scale fees, etc.) But we did limit handing him and tried him keep him still. I will try to post a video latter.

It looks like partial paralysis, possibly caused by an injury to the back or spine.

If you can see a vet, that is the best option. If not, I'd recommend finding a small cat carrier or cage to keep him in for now. Fill it with hay so that the bunny is supported and can sit or lay comfortably and turn around, but he should not have room to jump and play (which could worsen the injury). Keep him restrained like this for 4 weeks, then take him out and let him hop around and see if the situation is improved.

Immobilizing the rabbit like this can allow the physical support and time needed to heal minor back/leg injuries. It's not a surefire solution, but would give you the best chance of recovery outside of seeing a vet.

I know some girls that have a rabbit that is paralyzed from his hips down, but still has a tiny level of control over his back legs. He was still healthy and moving around for his nice bunny life. Your rabbit is most likely ok, and since he is still a baby, (and if his disability is permanent) he will learn to grow and live with it. I'm sure he will be fine. Good luck! 😊😉

Latest posts

Back