Shedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wooditkar45

Reaction score
Does anyone else have issues with shedding? My male Flemish Giant is a year old and has been shedding non stop for the last couple months. The previous several months I've had him it was a pretty normal cycle, he would shed for a week or 2 every month and a half or so but now it's just ridiculous. Hair is just floating everywhere in the room he is in and hair all over the carpet in his pen where he lays.
If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated! I do brush him quite often, it's just seems impossible to keep up with it right now, thanks!

My bun sheds like crazy too! I just have to groom her a lot and vaccine every other day. Because there inside and there's no wind blowing away the extra fur it's important to keep it under control as much as possible. They can't cough up durables like cats so if your bun is sneezing a lot or she has fur connecting her poop it's a sign to do more about it. It takes a lot of effort but it's worth it

Sounds a lot like Bandit. He went through a 2 month shed, stopped for a week and then started another crazy 2 month shed. He's still on the tail end of it but in the middle of it it's just a nightmare. Fluff bunnies everywhere. There's not much you can do about it except vacuum a lot :p

Exactly! I went out and bought a hand held vacuum specifically for Woody's pen and use it about every other day! Hair everywhere it's crazy. What kind of brush do you use?

I have a little rechargeable hand-held vacuum too :D I use it around his cage and in the corners of the room where the fur floaties tend to collect. For a brush I use a silicon type fingered brush that I found at the supermarket. It does an amazing job but needs to be used outside since the brush doesn't hold the fur well, it simply flies everywhere. Gets more fur than any other brush I've ever used though.

bandit brush2.jpg

Awesome! I will have to try that kind of brush. The one I have been using is a thin wire brush which seems to work alright. I was wondering if anyone had tried the furminator brush on their rabbit? I've always been tempted to buy one and try it...

I haven't personally used the furminator but I've heard both good and bad things about it. I've heard it works very well but it can be rough on delicate bunnies. I also don't know if it's true or not but I've read that it cuts the hair, as well as pulling it which seems to give it a bad rap.

No bunnies should not eat banana skins, even though you're rabbit may seem interested in them :)

My buns shed a lot. I currently have 32 buns and it is a nightmare when they shed. I brush them everyday for 2 weeks and then do it every 2nd day for a week and then once a week after that and it reduces there shedding by ALOT. I use this dog/cat/rabbit brush. It has two sides on just smooths the hair and one takes the hair that has fallen out and is just sitting underneath the coat. It stops them from itching and stuff aswell😊

32 buns!? My one is a handful, I can't even imagine how much hair you have to deal with!

It's hard sometimes hahah :) I always end up swallowing hair and hair all over me but they are my hobby my life so I'm always out there grooming them, the dogs and the guinea pigs hahah but yeah it's easy once you work out a system. :)

Back