No hay for a day and half till next delivery.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pigglebread

Reaction score
I've got 20 pounds of hay coming in but it won't reach here till Monday or Tuesday, Wednesday the latest but I doubt it will be that long. I've got pellets and greens but is that going to be ok till then? Should I feed unlimited pellets or maybe small servings throughout the day till shipment comes in?

Can you go to a pet store or something and get some hay? I know it will be more expensive, but should not be too much for a day or so.

I could but a bag is only going to last 1 serving that gets devoured in an hour or 2, My budget is extremely tight right now but if I had to I would though if I can have them be ok for a day and half then that would really save me some money.

edit: I could sell a game I have at gamestop for the hay money now that I think about it

NO, don't increase pellet amounts when you might not be feeding hay. Stopping hay when your rabbits digestive system is used to it on a daily basis, can sometimes result in a gut slowdown and digestive problems. If you were also to increase pellets at the same time, that will just increase the chances that your rabbit may develop digestive problems. If you can, get some hay at the petstore, or sometimes walmarts carry pet products for rabbits, so it would be a little bit cheaper there. Even if you have to stretch the hay to last til you get your other hay, some hay will be better than none. You can increase the amount of greens a little if you need to, to make up for less hay, but you wouldn't want to increase it by a whole bunch, as that could result in soft poop. Better more greens than more pellets.

just relax, really... a couple days without hay is NOT going to hurt your rabbit. Seriously... your buns will be just fine.

It's a couple of days...they might miss their hay, but it's not going to drastically affect them.

Agreed...are you completely out of hay? Even if you just have a little left just stretch it out a couple of days. Giving less or none for a couple of days isn't a catastrophe.

Agreed...are you completely out of hay? Even if you just have a little left just stretch it out a couple of days. Giving less or none for a couple of days isn't a catastrophe.

I have a smidge left to stretch out, I didn't think it would be a huge problem but I also wanted to be sure I guess, the worst I see is they will go 24 hours on no hay if they waste what I have and throw it in the litter and pee all over it...

I was initially concerned about your rabbit not getting hay, because another member had the same problem, ran out of hay, and because of the sudden diet change, the rabbit started developing GI stasis. So that was the reason for my recommendation. Hopefully everything is going well with your bun, and you'll get the hay soon :)

How many bunnies do you have? A small bag of timothy at petco has lasted me over a month now. It was $5.

Latest posts

Back