Insect in Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hocks

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been having a problem with my rabbit not eating, just got critical care from the vet today. Anyways, I get him home and he runs for the hay pile he has refused to touch since thursday and starts eating. I stepped out of the room to mix up the critical care, I come back and he isn't eating hay, he is batting around/nibbling on what looks like a dead locust.

My hay comes the midwest USA, where locusts have been extinct for over 100 years, but it didn't look like a cicada, but it could have been a different species. Anyhow, I'm wondering if I need to be worried about him eating it, it didn't look like he got very much, it looked mostly intact, and also about eggs, if there are any in the hay can he be harmed from ingesting them.

Google has failed me thus far, hoping somebody has some info,

Thanks

Welcome to RO!

I've found grasshoppers in my hay before. It's not uncommon for there to be insects in the hay when the grass gets cut and baled. A little extra protein shouldn't hurt him.

As long as it's not alfalfa hay, and the bug isn't a blister beetle, then it should be ok.

Did you or the vet figure out why your bun had stopped eating?

It's probably a grasshopper. I've had 2 in my hay before. I found them before giving the hay to my rabbit, but even so they shouldn't be harmful because they're not poisonous in any way - humans and other animals can actually eat them. So it's probably unrelated to why your rabbit stopped eating.

Could you tell us your rabbits age and diet?

Thanks, very reassuring.

The rabbit is a year old, he is a rescue, I got him Thursday. He seems more interested in my other rabbits which he can't be around at the moment, since they are bonded and the female is not spayed yet, she was too young and is probably just getting to the right age now, also a rescue so exact age is unknown.

When I was bringing him home he broke a nail on the cage, his nails were between half an inch in the shortest places to a full inch with a full 180 degree bend. Vet also found another broken toe that she thinks is an old wound. The previous owner had been feeding him solely alfalfa and oat hay, the pet store told him this was the correct diet. After the move he ate nothing for 3 days, I gave him lots of timothy hay but he wouldn't touch it, I havent been able to get any oat hay but I did try and give him alfalfa from my younger bunnies supplies, he picked out the leaves and left all the other hay untouched.

The vet wont neuter him until he eats again, he is very hyper and tries to hump everything, definitely doesn't seem like the small apetite is slowing him down. He jumped over a babygate to get to the other rabbits, so he isn't exactly unfit, just unwilling to eat.

What (other than Timothy hay and some alfalfa) is he being offered? Is he getting any pellets? Have you tried some greens? If he hasn't eaten anything for 3 days that's a real concern (if my rabbits don't eat/poop over a span of a a few hours I'm worried) and he should see a vet as he's likely in stasis.
How's he taking to the critical care (also I hope you got apple banana, anise doesn't smell nearly as good.)

I agree with the others, probably a grasshopper and not harmful. Same has happend in our hay. It's a good idea to mix hay because they'll eat more of it since it provides more interest. Just a thought. If he keeps not eating or pooping I'd get quickly to the vet.

What (other than Timothy hay and some alfalfa) is he being offered? Is he getting any pellets? Have you tried some greens? If he hasn't eaten anything for 3 days that's a real concern (if my rabbits don't eat/poop over a span of a a few hours I'm worried) and he should see a vet as he's likely in stasis.
How's he taking to the critical care (also I hope you got apple banana, anise doesn't smell nearly as good.)

I have offered him everything in the house that is bunny safe, parsley, apple, banana, carrot, strawberry, mango, papaya, pineapple, pumpkin, cilantro, cherry, dandelion, dill, obviously not all at once, most of it wilted and dried out and I removed it and tried something new. I've tried everything to get him to eat, but he wont touch anything other than a couple nibbles, and thats only the last couple days.

He is just at the point now where he is eating 1/4 cup of pellets over five days, the ones I gave him monday were gone today. All the fruit I put in last night was gone, which was a thumbsize piece of papaya and a bit of banana. He refuses to eat from my hand, other than to nibble and then run away. He is still very active after a week of such a lax diet.

Latest posts

Back