Sudden increase in chewing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cassnessxox

Reaction score
So my bunny Bambi has never been much of a chewer, my girl Cleo has always been the one to get her teeth into things :rollseyes So I hope I'm just being paranoid because it is unusual for him.

Lately I noticed he will suddenly bite the carpet and pull on it for just a second. He is also tugging on other random things, something I've just never seen him do before. I've bought them toys before but they were just never that interested. When I noticed Bambi's sudden chewing I went and bought a bunch of toys, including a sisal carrot. He plays tug a war with it now!

Is that worrying behaviour? I know dental problems can be very serious, but I'm not sure if I am just being paranoid. He is a bigger hay eater than my other bun and he is still eating and acting normal. But if this could indicate something developing I'd rather catch it before he starts showing signs of pain etc

No I don't think so, every thing is fairly normal apart from the extra chewing, not sure if he is just a little bored due to the weather being bad so they are cooped up inside

In my experience...in the past 20+ years of having bunnies, that some bunnies are just chewers! For example 2 bunnies we had for several years, Carrot and Mocha...Mocha NEVER chewed on anything he wasn't supposed to...Carrot on the other hand would chew on EVERYTHING!! One of my bunnies I have now, Reeses, he will be a year old in July shreds cardboard in his cage like he is a "mad" bunny...outside of his cage he just goes after cell phone power cords...Cheerios chews almost never...Funfetti chews on everything in her cage and NOTHING when she is loose...and Pretzel, our baby who is a little over three months has never chewed on anything and recently he has started chewing more...so only time will tell with him. I think the most important things are if your bunny is acting "normal" in every other way...eating, drinking, pooping, and acting like themselves in every other way. If all of those things are "typical" for your bunny, then I wouldn't worry...

Back