Motility drugs alongside probiotics?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLB

Reaction score
Can you use this motility drug Ranitidine(Zantac) alongside human acidophilus to keep droppings good post spaying of a doe. Would they counteract one another? If giving proper dose of motility drug should one need probiotics?

Thank you in advance!

Why are you giving a mobility drug? Is she in stasis? That is typically not needed post spay/neuter unless the rabbit opts not to eat for much longer.

Human probiotics wont do anything for an animal with a totally different gut bacterial makeup. So ditch that stuff all together and look for something small animal specific like benbac.

And the actual answer is no they dont counteract each other.

Hi there :)
Apparently it's general protocol to prescribe motility drugs post spaying a rabbit where I live anyway...(Not sure about neutering a buck though). She is on 0.28mls of that twice daily. I think it's because most experienced vets know how sensitive their guts are and that after spaying some tend not to eat themselves for up to 3 days so this can help their gut stay semi normal. I do know there are many difference between our gut and theirs but so many knowledgable people recommend acidophilus pre-spay and post spay...if you don't have the likes of benebac or other animal probiotics. So they wouldn't be effective at all if given, not even slightly?

I wouldn't give mobility drug with no reason. All drugs have possible side effects and, the more you take a drug the less efficient it is, so I'd rather keep something as potentially life-saving as mobility drugs for a time when they are really needed.
Like Watermelons I've never heard of them being prescribed automatically after a spay (and Watermelons and I are not from the same country ^^). Generally, pain meds are given to avoid anorexia and work very well. Sometimes some antibiotics to avoid a possible infection.
My does never stopped eating for more than 12 hours post spay.
To answer your question, probiotics are completely useless when given orally. I've researched the topic extensively when I thought about giving some to my current doe. Studies show they are destroyed when they reach the rabbit stomach by the acid it contains. It's apparently a defense mecanism against foreign bacteries. The studies showed that the only efficient probiotic is actually cecotrophes, considering that it passes through the stomach intact.

Honestly, discuss it with your vet, but if I were you I would give Metacam for 5-7 days post spay, keeping an eye on the litter box and the hay intake, and that's it.

Latest posts

Back