Litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbeylacy

Reaction score
Right now I use yesterday's news but I'm looking for an alternative that's cheaper. I just picked up some pine pellets from tractor supply that are especially for buns. But I saw equine pellets there too that were way cheaper. Can anyone tell me the difference? And is pine safe to use?

Pine is bad for buns and their respiratory problems so No rabbits can't have pine or cedar theirs horse pellets just dont mush them just add enough to cover the floor and their very absorbent and also from what I read cheap so why dont you try those out?

I just went and did more reading and from what I'm seeing the pine pellets are fine. Just not pine shavings. Or any hard or soft wood shavings. The pellets undergo a process that removes whatever is harmful to the rabbit. Same with the equine pellets.

I just can't figure out what exactly the difference is between equine pellets and the ones made for small animals.

Oh okay be just be cautious I dont exactly trust anything pine and I'm not sure the difference? But like i said be cautious

Pellets are different from shavings. It is the shavings that are suspected of emitting harmful phenols - both pine and cedar. Only shavings that are kiln-dried may be safe. Pellets, from my understanding, are processed in a manner that eliminates those harmful phenols.

There are a number of pellet types that vary greatly. If the pellets at that store that are being sold for small animals seem more broken down, or in smaller pieces than the horse stall pellets, then you may prefer the larger pellets. The feedstore where I get mine have both types. I accidentally got the wrong (smaller) type once and they were not nearly as effective as the horse pellets.

Yes! That's what it is called. Kiln dried. And the pellets say they are kiln dried. 😊 the ones I got are pretty small and are twice the price of the horse pellets. Maybe I'll try the horse ones next time. Any particular brand you recommend or anything I should look out for?

From what I've seen from other RO members, there are countless brands depending on where you live. Even where I live, places here sell a different brand than what is available at a city just a few hours away.

I get a brand called TerrAmigo - but, as I said before, I have to be sure it is the pellets since the two bags look the same.

Yep, pine pellets are fine as previously mentioned. The horse stall pellets are quite possibly exactly the same thing it's just that products marketed for small animals tend to be more expensive which is why the big price difference. There's no harm in buying the horse stall pellets.

Nice! I bought 40 lbs of small animal ones. Once they're gone I'll try the horse ones and see how they are and decide which I like better.

Latest posts

Back