My rabbit (Gizmo) died yesterday

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KentPaul

Reaction score
Sorry to be a new poster and dive right in with this however I just really needed to speak (type) to other people regarding this.
We have had Gizmo for a year and three months and she was three months old when we got her.. she has been amazing (not one for being held) she would snuggle up on the sofa or on the rug for hours on end being tickled and affectionately licking us back.. she lived with me and my girlfriend and was a indoor (flat) rabbit.
she had cases of a bad stomach in the past one time we took her to the vet he gave us some medicine and that seemed to work, then another time we used bio-lapsis and that was fine... however on Tuesday afternoon she was bad again and we found very cow pat like faeces in her cage and she didnt want to move far.
I gave her the bio-lapsis and watched over her with lots of strokes and a bit of massaging on the belly.
when I woke up on Wednesday she was dead and it has devastated me and my girlfriend.. we both cant stop crying and both blame ourselves.
I should of taken her to the vets straight away and it eats at me that I didn't.

I just don't know what to do its obviously very fresh and this will get easier but it really is the most heart breaking pain I have ever encountered..

Sorry for rambling I just needed to vent I think.. me and my girlfriend have never had a pet before which is ours and the fact she died so young really did hit home.

Thanks for reading

If anyone has any advice on how to get through it would be great, also if anyone recommends getting another rabbit (not for a while and grief processed of course)

There isn't really a good way to get through the loss of a loved one. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. You did the best you could with her. Sometimes, rabbits are just prone to GI issues, sometimes it's diet related. If you do decide to get another rabbit in the future (which is something I personally would definitely do- so many rabbits are in animal shelters looking for a home!) make sure he/she is on the proper diet and gets proper veterinary care (which, again, it sounds like you guys already did this).

Just know she was lucky to have you and had a great life with you guys.

Thanks for that Ravenous the only thing that feels good is knowing that she knew 100% how much she was loved.. Finding myself struggling due to not having these overpowering feelings before and the age of her... We bought her from a pet shop however I definately would rescue next time the only thing that makes me feel okay in getting a new rabbit is that we would be helping it... would feel selfish if we didnt provide a good home to a bunny that needs it.

Find it hard to talk about these things and definately found it good to post here.

Thanks again

Am so sorry for your loss. Gizmo sounds like such a snuggler. You and your girlfriend must have so many good memories of him. So very sorry. Losing a pet feels so devestating. I'm sure most of us here understand what it's like, having lost a beloved bun ourselves. My thoughts are with you.

Hope you do decide to get another rabbit. Those bunnies kisses are so amazing aren't they? Rabbits are the best pets ever.

She was a snuggler I went through pictures last night and we have over 300 and they are so sweet will cherish the memories of her.
Thanks for your kind words and we discussed last night when the time is right definately getting another Rabbit.

The flat isn't the same without giz hopping around scratching and doors shes not allowed in but the shock and horror is wearing off and the memories of the great times are beginning to win over tears.

Will make sure I am a active member of this community with my next rabbit as it seems theres some real nice people and great advice here

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back