Flemish giants

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiecrna

Reaction score
Flemish giants seem so friendly. Anyone have this experience or the opposite experience or this?

In my personal experience with them (admittedly not much- not many own them/ bring them into the hospital around here) they are quite friendly and generally easy to handle (moreso than the tiny rabbits). That being said, every rabbit is an individual and so there are DEFINITELY exceptions.

To answer your question as to whether Flemmies are more friendly, I think Dragon is right. Every rabbit has their own personality. Harvey rarely meets any other people, as my boyfriend and I are a pair of hermits, so on the rare occasion when we do have people over, Harvey hides. Given time she will come to investigate them though. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

They seem appealing, but given the damage my 5.5 lb dutch can do to the house, I'd be scared of getting a bigger bun :(

WRR, is your flemmie a house rabbit?

In my personal experience (so not huge) it's the dwarfs that do the most damage (particularly the males for some reason- they seem to be smarter than the females). Granted, the largest rabbit I've personally owned is my current male at an (overweight) 6.5 lbs. He should be about 6 lbs, but my significant other loves to give him too much food. :p My tiniest was a full grown 2.0 lbs, and she was fairly destructive. My smallest male was 2.6 lbs and he was the WORST in terms of destruction. From what I've heard (from owners, no actual research here) the flemmies tend to be much better house rabbits as they are more mellow than the crazy tiny ones.

Yes Harvs is a house rabbit. We turned the den into a rabbit room so harvey has her own room. I was afraid she would gnaw the baseboards or the wooden door but she hasn't. We let her into the living room for supervised playtime. The only destructive thing she does is pull up carpet. She's better now that she's older but still does it if no one is looking.

My Flemish was amazing. I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into. I wanted to train her for Pet Therapy and she exceeded my expectations. When she was young, prior to getting spayed she was a bit destructive but it stopped as soon as she decided she didn't need to find a mate. She was always a bit of a slob and used to area around her litter box, I don't always blame her because we do have bamboo floors that can be hard to move around on so sometimes she just took the easy way. She was always so sweet and loved her family time with me and my husband. She also enjoyed her alone time with us too. It was fun to see how she like to do different things with us. She was part of our family for over 7 years and we miss her so much. We just lost her a couple weeks ago to cancer. We plan on getting another one. I like their fun, big bunny personality. I used to be a dog only person but now I am Flemish giant rabbit only person. It took only one to convert me.

Thanks everyone! It sounds like everyone has had positive experience with their Flemish giants :)

Latest posts

Back