Bonding Questions!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatkiidsean

Reaction score
Hello all!

So it's been nearly a month since Einstein was neutered, and he is doing great! He actually seems a lot more happier than he was before the neutering!

I've come up with a future plan for Einstein, one that I've given A LOT of time thinking about and researching: I plan to bond Einstein and give him a buddy!

Disclosure: it will obviously take a few more months without actually bonding him first -- what I want to do now is get research done and prepare to get another bunny. So I have a few general questions I hope can be answered (or at least elaborated on):

-- How would feeding go? Do I double up on the pellets into one bowl for them to share, or give them each separate dishes? What about greens?
-- Do you think it's a good idea to give each of them their own litter boxes (in case they find it a territorial thing, as I don't want them ripping each other's heads off just to pee LOL)?
-- At nighttime when I'm sleeping, normally I put Einstein back into his pen for the night and let him out in the morning. With another bunny, is it possible for both of them to be in the same pen? Or should they each get their own?
-- Are there any other tips/advice you guys have? Any advice would be much appreciated!

I've done a lot of research already and have actually found a reputable rescue that has a good and safe process of bonding Einstein with a companion, so that is all set. But if you guys have anything else to mention, I would absolutely love it! Thank you guys!

:bunny18:bunnybutt::highfive:

Hi, so with the food I just double up on it same with greens. My buns don't seem to fight over it.

With the litter I usually only have 1 for them. But if I had more then 2 rabbits in the same hutch they get 2 litter boxes.

You can put them in the same pen at night.

Just make sure they have 2 different pens and different items until you bond them properly. It would be best to get a rabbit around his age or a little younger. Good luck

I suggest having them in separate pens until you are certain they are bonded. If they get into a fight when you're not there to separate them, they could seriously hurt one another.
Make sure they are far enough apart where they can't nip at each other but close enough together they see and smell each other.
I just bonded 2 bunnies (our newly adopted dutch Laverne with our 2 year old mini rex Melvin, female and male pair)
At first they will need separate litter boxes as well as food and water dishes. When you first bring the new bunny home it will most likely be scared and timid for the first few days anyway so make sure to have a secure area where it can feel safe and not be harassed too much by your other bun.
Also, both rabbits must be altered. Bonding will be easier if the new bun is already spayed/neutered before coming into your home.
I adopted my second at the local humane society and they were kind enough to let me bring my Melvin in for several bunny dates before making a decision. So Melvin essentially got to pick his own girlfriend. It took about 4 days until we felt comfortable leaving them alone together unsupervised. There was lots of mounting and territorial behavior around litter boxes and food.
Of course, now they share everything and sleep and eat together, so the second hutch has moved into the garage.
You don't need to spend much money on the second rabbit hutch since you won't use it very long. An inexpensive small animal cage and a empty yogurt container will suffice for temporary food and shelter. I used an old dish pan for the new litter box.
She kept to herself for a few days and I put her and Melvin together in the bathroom (neutral territory) for about 30 minutes 3 times a day for 2 days. Then I let them roam the house together supervised for 2 more days. Once they began bathing and cuddling each other and sharing food without fighting I decided to let them alone, and they haven't disappointed me since.

Note: Altered Male:Female matches statistically work out best.

My pair has a spare bedroom to themselves. They both have a cage that stays open. Each one with it's own litter box. And an extra litterbox on the outside. They use each others litter box's though but I like having the option. Sometimes my boy likes to eat alone and the female just loves to squeeze herself beside him. So he has the freedom to move to another. (Each litterbox has hay)

For feeding time I get them to go in their own cage and I give them their pellets. My male has bad teeth so sometimes he just eats slower until we get them trimmed. So I like knowing they're having the right rations. When I give them treats if one finishes early they try to run and grab the others! But they eat their lettuce together. My male isn't too fond so he takes as much as he wants or none at all. My female loves her greens though.

Once they're fully bonded you should be able to keep them in the same pen! they'll probably prefer it. Bonded bunnies love to sleep together!

Latest posts

Back