repurposing supplies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Well Boyfriend and I were going to get two guinea pigs but it came to our attention rabbits don't make as much noise, Need about the same space, and don't need a second rabbit ( I am home most of the day)

The problem is I have already bought a lot of supplies for guinea pigs.

I know the hides and bowls can be used, But I also bought hay bags, and cudle cups.

We are looking at smaller species of rabbits Holland lops are my favorite personally.

It depends on what kind of hay but I believe it should be fine as long as it is alfalfa hay for a baby rabbit, Timothy hay for an adult. By cuddle cups do you mean the beds? A rabbit would probably love it but know that it will probably go to the bathroom in it! At least a couple times before you get it potty trained. And a rabbit will take up the same amount of space (as long as it's a baby or dwarf) but it will need plenty more room and excersize outside of the cage. Especially if you keep it in a guinea pig cage. Those are a little small for a rabbit to be comfortable in. And that will lead to chewing and little poop balls around the house so be prepared! You will hear that you can't fully potty train an unnuetered/unspayed rabbit but I litter trained my female in a day or two and she has never had an accident outside of her cage since! Not even a poop (until she had her babies). My male however is potty trained but likes to poop around the house and pee around my females cage, but if you only have one that will be less of a problem. I buy them unscented shredded Aspen bedding for litter and that has worked best, but I hear pellets from the farm and tractor store work good too. I bought her a corner little box for like $6 a the pet store and it works great. He was peeing over the side of his so I bought a $2 rectangle storage container for him from Walmart and it works great. They're a lot of work but they are TOTALLY worth it. Good luck 😁

Hay Bags. They are a way to feed the hay. https://www.etsy.com/listing/227857...+bag+&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

I am actually looking at an extra large dog crate as a home, I hadn't bought the cage yet ( The guinea pig cage was actually 4ft x 2ft)

the cat pan I have as a litter area is 6 inches tall but I cut down one side so they can get in easily. I plan on using paper cat litter ( no additives) this is what I used for my rats.

Oh and I would put the bed outside the cage, then there's less of a chance it will go to the bathroom in it and it can have a place to lounge around.

I bought two and they are fleece so they are 100% washable. as a former rat owner i am very use to poo on everything LOL.

Ohh I see. I don't see why that wouldn't work for the hay but it might eventually get chewed. You just want to make sure they're not swallowing any of that. The dog crate is a great idea, I've seen a lot of people that use them. I tried the fleece and there was just something about it that my rabbits looved to pee on it lol. I just went without anything on the bottom of the cage for a while and now they just get hay. I tried towels and they didn't pee on it but they chewed it which isn't good either. Every rabbit is different though so it can't hurt to try, especially since the crate tray are usually kind of rough.

Well my liners will be two layers of fleece with towel in between. So it will absorb urine. Due to sinuses I will be changing liners regularly anyway.

Yeah the chewing was my primary concern but I will make sure to have plenty of alternatives in the cage for chewing.

I still wont have as much laundry as I would have with the guinea pigs, Changing liners daily in 2 8sq ft cages O.O

sounds good :) I just hope they are the right size ... I ordered them for guinea pigs, as well as snuggle sacks ( 12 x 12 pouches they can hang in) but I think the snuggle sacks will be too small

Latest posts

Back