What breed do you think my buns are?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swarning1222

Reaction score
I never really cared much, but now I have a litter of babies I will have to get rid of and people are asking what breed they are. When I got my female I was told she's 1/2 Rex 1/2 mini Rex. And my male looks a lot like her but a lot smaller so I assumed he was a mini Rex. Well I just googled Rex rabbits and that is definitely not what they are.

My male is very small and has somewhat longish fur. The pet store said he was just a "standard rabbit" (I rescued him from there from being snake food so I don't think they particularly cared what he was!). And yes the cat kicked him out of his favorite box and no I promise he's not trying to eat him they're bffs lol 😁
View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1429302070.558154.jpg

My female is a little bigger and has the same type of fur. Her father was huge and definitely a pure bred Rex. The mother looked a lot like she does and was told she was a mini Rex, but didn't have the soft Rex fur. Idk where her ears came from because neither of her parents had ears like hers and they are sure big and goofy lol. And she has one heck of a double chin, I'm not sure if it's the breed or weight she put on when she was pregnant (that I would actually like to know so if it is due to weight I can keep an eye out for that so she doesn't get overweight!) View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1429302546.897726.jpg

aand the double chin 😂View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1429302592.988165.jpg

Oh and babies 😍View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1429302653.251503.jpg

They look like mutts to me, no particular breed stands out. Just provide pics and the weights of both parents so adopters know roughly how big they will get. This is a pro-spay/neuter site especially for mutt bunnies, so I hope you don't mind if I include a little "please neuter your male at least" in here. So many baby bunnies are bought because of "cuteness", and then left in shelters when they grow up just a few months later. Do make sure your adopters know that bunnies are a 10-year long responsibility.

Your female has a very cute little dewlap. It's not a double chin, it's a necessary extra fold of skin that provides her with enough fur to build a nest. All unspayed bunnies will have it regardless of weight.

Thanks. Well that explains the chin then lol. The funny thing is I have an appointment to have him neutered, that I made before I even realized she was pregnant. I have been SO careful with them, they don't leave their cages at the same time. The only explanation that I can come up with is that it had to have happened through the cage somehow, I was extremely shocked when I saw her nesting. Believe me I will be very thorough when finding homes for them, it makes me so mad when people get animals to breed them, regardless if their purebred or not they still end up in shelters, I was so mad at myself when I realized she was pregnant, but I just have to enjoy it now! I already told someone no that wanted to take one to breed. I am not a person to just try to sell them any way I can, I will make sure whoever takes them is okay with 8-12 years of poop balls, chewing and little attitudes in their house!

Latest posts

Back