Has anyone had these problems?! Also update on baby buns :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swarning1222

Reaction score
I posted this question a couple days ago and didn't get any response on this, I'm wondering if it is normal for a rabbits litter box habits to change after giving birth? She was perfectly trained, and I mean she would be out of her cage all day long and NEVER had an accident. Now she has full run of a room since having the babies one week ago and she has not gone in her litter box since!! Luckily it's a linoleum floor but the amount of pee and poo I have been scrubbing all day everyday is getting out of hand!! I tried all the things I used to train her originally and nothing is working!! Has anyone else had this problem? And any tips and what will help and when this will stop?!

I also posted before that this was her first litter and she wasn't feeding them for the first couple days, they were on the verge of dehydration and probably death and I had to intervene and help her feed them (which wasn't easy!!) but since then she has been a great momma! 😁 Even the runt (even though he has much less hair than the rest) is nice and fat and happy. There is one that I'm concerned about that keeps missing feedings. Sometimes I check and he has eaten, and sometime like this morning he looks skinny and horrible. So I've had to put him underneath her and let him eat, which she has been pretty good about but this morning she wasn't having it and only let him eat a little. Could there be an underlying cause to this? Like maybe he's just not strong and not going to make it? Or do you think he's just always too late for meals? She doesn't have a care in the world but I am one worried rabbit mother lol.

The gray one is the one missing meals, you can see he's much skinnier than the others.

View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1429185830.894292.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1429185846.968361.jpg

I have no idea about this stuff but since no one responded I'll say that I've heard of others feeding the runt by syringe?? Idk what they feed it but it's usually because they aren't getting enough food from the mother or any at all. I'm really not sure though, that's ehat I've read. You can Search it up and maybe a thread about it will pop up. I hope the little one makes it :)

I replied to one of your previous posts and I hope that I was helpful in some way. I'm glad to hear that she is starting to take care of her babies :)

My girls usually stop going in the litter box for a few weeks after birth but pick it up again. I know that un-spayed rabbits are harder to litter train to start with and maybe they'd be more hormonal after birth? Just a guess.

I think there's usually one baby smaller than rest, I've seen it in not only my litters but in other people's too :)

The skinniest kit I've ever had is alive and still very small but he's healthy, (6 months old and the around the size of a 3 month old!)
Just keep making sure that he's getting fed and hopefully he will be alright.

They look gorgeous, good job :)

The loss of litter box skills may be due to still being a bit sore and uncomfortable from giving birth. Restricting her area and giving her a little time may be all she needs to reestablish her litter habits. If it's been a couple weeks and/or she starts dribbling urine soaking her fur, then it's possible she may have developed a urinary infection. But it's likely she just needs time and a restricted area to get back on track.

With the little baby, if you tried to let him nurse just after she nursed the other babies, then she wouldn't really have any milk in her built up yet, and that may be why she was so uncooperative. If you wait til a bit later in the day, then it's more likely she will have some milk for him. I would suggest not syringe feeding unless absolutely necessary, as aspiration is a huge risk and many babies end up dying because of it. It's possible he has an underlying health problem, but it may also just be he isn't as good at getting in there at feeding time and needs a little help. I think continuing to help him nurse when needed, is about all you can do.

I'm so glad the babies survived, and that mom is doing her job and feeding them now.

hormones run rampant over the whole having babies, making babies, etc spectrum. So yes, litter box habits can and do change frequently, as can the size and shape of their fecal matter, rate/duration/timing of urination and a whole whack of things. They can even change their personality.

This gives me hope for her litter box habits!! And yes, her poo was beyond huge for a couple days! It scared the heck out of me at first but I figured it was somewhat normal and it's gone back down since. I do think she just fed the other ones when I tried to let the one little guy eat, I put him back under her a little while ago and he got to eat much more so I will just have to keep letting him get some extra feedings and hope he's okay! I know syringe/bottle feedings usually do more harm than good so I don't even want to mess with that.

Latest posts

Back