My sister is being moody

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surf_storm

Reaction score
Hi I'm Bailey and I'm a rat, over Christmas mum went to a place she called 'merica' To go see dad (I miss dad) anyway she said I couldn't go with her cause I could get really sick or to stressed out so I went for my own holiday to see my carer lady. When mum came home she said I needed a friend and I was getting on really well with the carer lady's baby bunnies so mum got Shida from her when she was 4 months old. Shida is now 7 months and has gone from really sweet to really moody, she isn't hurting me or anything but she is completely ignoring mum and it's making mum upset. The vet lady said that they didn't want to 'fix' Shida (I didn't know she was broken) till she was 7 months could this be the reason she is moody? Sorry about the long post but I thought I should explain everything first.
Thanks, Bailey.

It's definitely bunny puberty causing the change in behaviour! Spaying is major surgery, but you if can find an experienced rabbit vet who's done lots of rabbit spays, the risk is quite low. And her behaviour should improve as her hormones dissipate after the spay.

It sounds like it! My little Clementine is the same right now, and she's around the same age, nearly 6 months.

Mum said that the vet we went to was the bird and exotics vet near Randwick in Sydney and they said she was a bit to little at the time, I had just turned 2 and she was 5 months, the vet lady said to brig her back when she was 7 months hoping that she would grow a bit more but I don't think she has.
Bailey 🐁

Hm, I asked my vet about ideal size/age for spays, and he said that sometimes he prefers to spay before they've reached their full size since as the organs are smaller, it's a less invasive surgery than it could be on a full-grown bun. Smaller organs, smaller incision, smaller healing area.

My vet said anywhere from 6 months to a year. Alfy is getting spayed at the beginning of June (can't wait she's a moody little thing right now) and she'll be 8 months.

Latest posts

Back