What products are best?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apautienus

Reaction score
I was wondering what bunny products were the best. What type if cages are the best, what food brands are the best, etc. please put into consideration price when you answer, I am only a kid and can't buy super expensive products.

Where do you live? Some products are not available in some areas, so it can be hard to recommend specifics.

For a cage, using an x-pen or building an NIC cage is a good way to go. Most pet store cages are too small for an adult rabbit and can be quite expensive. You can usually find x-pens used for a good price. Large wire dog crates can be good as well. Building an NIC cage is not too expensive, especially if you can find the grids used. You should be looking to spend at least $50 on a decent cage or pen.
You will also need a litter box, food and water dishes, blankets, bed, toys, and other items to outfit the cage. Depending on where you buy and what you get, it could be around $20-50.
Food really depends on what you buy. You can get a 50 pound bag of food for under $20, but it might not be the best quality and would not stay fresh with only one rabbit eating it. I like Oxbow pellets which cost me about $15 for a 10 pound bag, but that is on the cheaper end. For hay, you can buy smaller bags at a pet store, but that can be expensive. Bigger bags tend to cost less per pound than small bags. If you have space to store one, buying a bale of hay is a good option and will last quite a while. A bag from a pet store could be $10, while a bale cost the same for 10 times as much. Veggies depend on what is available for you and how much you want to give.
You will have to buy litter on a regular basis as well. Wood pellets make great litter and are cheap. A 40 pound bag costs about $5-6 and would last one rabbit several months.
You do want to get a carrier as well. Vet visits do require something to get the rabbit safely to the vet. It also helps to have one when you pick up the rabbit and for emergencies or if you ever travel with the rabbit. A small, hard sided cat carrier works best and you can usually find some used for about $5-10.
Vet care is a big expense. It is good to get a rabbit spayed or neutered, even if you are only going to have one. At the lower end, that can cost $50 for a male, but it can go up to $400 depending on the vet. Females do tend to be a bit more expensive to get done as it is more invasive. An exam can be $50-100, and treatments can run a few hundred to a few thousand. Since rabbits do need a vet who knows them, that can up the cost since the vets tend to specialize in rabbits or exotic pets.

Latest posts

Back