which breed should i get??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrafre

Reaction score
We want to get a bunny soon we have a 2.5 year old child and a golden doodle (the bunny is for me not my daughter) so i need a rabbit that can get along with both of them and that's less prone to getting accidentally hurt. I would also like a rabbit that can be in a cage if needed i plan to keep it out of the cage most of the day. I already have a cage that we have is 34.5 inches long and 20 inches wide so i would prefer a breed that can fit in that. I would also like a breed that is generally friendly, playful, non destructive and tends to have good litterbox skills. Can anyone recommend a breed or several breeds for me to look into it would be very appreciated.

I have a minilop. He is roughly 5lbs and fully grown. He is very nice and has a really spunky personality. Potty training was a breeze he learned fast to go potty only in his cage and he pees only in his litter box. Bunnies tend to destroy things as play, not really just to be destructive. Ive learned what stuff to keep away when he is out and running. Mostly, if you have toys for him to play with, he/she is most likely to stick to the toys and not your furniture. Hope this helps.

I have a minilop. He is roughly 5lbs and fully grown. He is very nice and has a really spunky personality. Potty training was a breeze he learned fast to go potty only in his cage and he pees only in his litter box. Bunnies tend to destroy things as play, not really just to be destructive. Ive learned what stuff to keep away when he is out and running. Mostly, if you have toys for him to play with, he/she is most likely to stick to the toys and not your furniture. Hope this helps.

Thanks! Do you think it could handle a dog and a toddler the minilop is one that I was considering but I'm just not sure if it can handle them but i really like the breed. I will definatly get toys for the bunny so it wont get bored :).

He sure can. My boy is the king at my house but whenever i go and visit my family, my brother has a chihuahua (really annoying one too) and he is not bugged at all by her. Minilops get really attached to their owner but they like to be pet by ANYONE. My baby loves to be around people he doesnt mind being held or pet by anyone :) minilops are usually people bunnies.

He sure can. My boy is the king at my house but whenever i go and visit my family, my brother has a chihuahua (really annoying one too) and he is not bugged at all by her. Minilops get really attached to their owner but they like to be pet by ANYONE. My baby loves to be around people he doesnt mind being held or pet by anyone :) minilops are usually people bunnies.

Awesome! Our dog is biggish (41) pounds and can be hyper lol but I think i would like a minilop my husband and i are in love with the cute little floppy ears lol and i like that they are people bunnies :big wink:.

Yeii. Usually when a bunny grows up with other pets in this case your dog they will grow attached to them aswell and get a hang of his hyperness :)

Here is a pick of my baby ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1399852237.150518.jpg

I just got this app so I'm clueless but what does it mean when a rabbit squarms when I put it back in its cage? Like it goes crazy

It might mean that she/he wants to go back out, or she/he is just getting used to the slightly sudden change. Wouldn't you go a little coo-coo if you were outside and someone picked you up and plopped you back into your home? I would that is probably what happened. 😄

The traits you're looking for can differ between rabbits of any breed. Theres no guarantees. And no matter the breed the rabbit should NEVER be left alone or unattended with the child or the dog. No such thing as a rabbit that is less prone to accidents. That cage is also on the really small side.

Breed doesn't effect temperament as much in rabbits as it does in dogs. In your situation, I would try finding a rescue group that could help match a particular rabbit to your family.

Thanks the rabbit will defiantly never be left alone with my daughter or my dog. The cage will be mostly for when i cant supervise the rabbit like at night or when we aren't home because i would like the rabbit to be out with us most of the time. My husband doesnt want to do a rescue he is set on getting a baby from a breeder.

I want to urge you to consider a rescue. Chances are good that the bun would already be fixed and you will be able to get a better idea of his or her personality. Also, rescues have so many bunnies. I wish I could make sure they all go to good homes. My boys are rescue bunnies and they are the coolest little fluffballs ever.

Latest posts

Back