aggressive rabbit fighting...advice needed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RescuedRabbits

Reaction score
I have 2 rescued rabbits, brothers, male. Both are not neutered approx 30 months old.

They have been brought up in close proximity with each other since they were born. They are both in good health and are generally happy bunnies.They are both quite tame and are handled relatively frequently. We show them a lot of affection. They roam my garden in the day and at night they sleep indoors in a an 800 x 600 x 600 cage.

Up until now they have been getting along fine. They usually snuggle, cuddle, groom each other. I however noticed that one bunny is very dominant while the other is very submissive.The submissive one will wait until the dominant one has eaten before he will start to eat etc.

In the last 2 weeks the dominant rabbit has been attacking the submissive one, who does not fight back and has no interest in taking territory or dominating. I usually separate the 2 after this happens. Last night I heard the one rabbit scream and I found the dominant rabbit with its teeth buried in the side of the other rabbit. This was very disconcerting and am desperately looking for the right solution that will be in both the rabbits best interests.

Is there any advice that can be given to solve this issue? I am aware that neutering might help alleviate the problem. My question is more along the lines of how I should handle them once they have been neutered. Should I neuter only one? How long after the procedure should I separate them? I would appreciate any feedback or helpful info as this this is quite distressing.

You need to separate them. Rabbit fights can be deadly. If you want to try to re-bond them, you would need to keep them separate, get them both neutered and then wait at least a month to try to bond them (which may not even work). I have two male rabbits who are brothers and they got along when they were babies, but at 3-4 months old they started to fight. I had them neutered, but when I tried to bond them again, they just fought so I keep them separate now and they are much happier.

Two male rabbits that are not fixed can't live together because they will fight and one could kill the other. Separate them for now and If you want to bond them you will need to get them neutered.

Latest posts

Back