Advice on a neutering and bonding please :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plymothian_Sophie

Reaction score
Hi, so Truffles is getting neutered on Monday, and I was wondering of there's anything I should/shouldn't do before/on the day?
I am also getting a female once he's been done, and will start their bonding process once his hormones have died down after 4+ weeks. What is the best way I can bond them? They will have a large hutch and run for the first few weeks with a piece of the collapsible run in between them for a little while at first but not sure how long/what to do after, any advice will be greatly appreciated :) many thanks

There isn't much you need to do before the neuter. Feed him normally in the morning, rabbits should not be fasted before surgery. You could bring food to the vet so he has something for before surgery and when he wakes up. You should clean out his cage and put in towels or fleece. If there are any levels in the cage, block them off or give him a small pen, he should not be jumping up on things. Make sure to get pain medication for him, usually at least a few days if good for males.

For bonding, the other rabbit will need to be spayed or neutered as well. If you are adopting from a rescue, that will probably be done, but you may have to wait for the hormones to dissipate.
For the bonding, you do have to get them together at some point. Rabbits can be fine with a divider, but go nuts when they are face to face contact. Neutral territory is a good place to start. There are many bonding tutorials that you can look at for some more specific advice.

There isn't much you need to do before the neuter. Feed him normally in the morning, rabbits should not be fasted before surgery. You could bring food to the vet so he has something for before surgery and when he wakes up. You should clean out his cage and put in towels or fleece. If there are any levels in the cage, block them off or give him a small pen, he should not be jumping up on things. Make sure to get pain medication for him, usually at least a few days if good for males.

For bonding, the other rabbit will need to be spayed or neutered as well. If you are adopting from a rescue, that will probably be done, but you may have to wait for the hormones to dissipate.
For the bonding, you do have to get them together at some point. Rabbits can be fine with a divider, but go nuts when they are face to face contact. Neutral territory is a good place to start. There are many bonding tutorials that you can look at for some more specific advice.

The girl will be 12 weeks when I get her so she won't be old enough to be spayed, I was going to keep them next to each other where they can see each other until she can be done, will that be okay?

Back