Possible cecal (and maybe urine) leakage after stasis and Baytril treatment...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
My one girl had a bad stasis bout that started on 4/11 and hasn't completely resolved yet. Itincluded a 7-day Baytril course at the onset of her symptoms on 4/11.

In the last week, she's been passing some watery/transparent/brownish fluid as she reaches back to eat cecals. And she's been repeatedly reaching underneath herself as if she's not getting satisfactory cecals--or is maybe experiencing urethral irritation.

I found a small amount of urine near where she was lying on the floor this morning. She has impeccable litter-box (urinary) habits, so I'm worried, if it was her. (It is possible that our other bun passed the urine, but she wasn't in the area at the time I found it.)

Should I take her back to the vet to get a fecal culture (and possibly a urine culture)? Or should I give her more time on the prebiotic/probiotic (Pro Bi) that she's been taking?

Thank you,

Jenk

Is she passing any normal fecals? Brown watery discharge can be passed when a blockage is present.

pamnock wrote:
Is she passing any normal fecals? Brown watery discharge can be passed when a blockage is present.
She is passing normal fecals--in terms of size and quantity--now. This happy change started around 4/27 after a long spell on motility drugs (since 4/11).

Did you mention her age or did I miss it? I have a 13 year old male and for a long time he passed a brown/clear gel instead of cecal and I have no idea why. I gave him some teraflora paste and it did help however it took a long time. He did have normal fecal pellets at the time. And now that he gets out to graze the problem seems to have stopped altogether. Most vets claimed it was his age.

Bill Jesse wrote:
Did you mention her age or did I miss it? I have a 13 year old male and for a long time he passed a brown/clear gel instead of cecal and I have no idea why.
She turns 4 years old this July.

Yesterday, the vet told me that the watery cecals could be from all the sub-Q fluids she received, as well as all the water that she's been drinking on her own, which is much more than usual. (She just had blood work a week prior, and all was normal.)

When Gulliver was sick, he was passing a brownish/clear mucousy thing. My vet told me it was because he was not eating enough food (which was true). Once I started him on Critical Care it did not happen anymore.

EileenH wrote:
When Gulliver was sick, he was passing a brownish/clear mucousy thing. My vet told me it was because he was not eating enough food (which was true). Once I started him on Critical Care it did not happen anymore.
Thankfully, there is no mucous involved. And my girl was on Critical Care for quite some time; she was receiving nourishment throughout her stasis.

I think that all the fluids--sub-Qs, water with the Critical Care, and water she's now drinking on her own--have contributed to my girl's watery cecals. NOTE: She's not passed watery cecals since yesterday morning; my fingers are crossed that the problem is resolving itself.

Latest posts

Back