Is it possible.....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CuddlesMom

Reaction score
Ok here is a DUMB question ( i have alot ofthose)! I gave my bun vanilla in his water he loves it but now he iseating his litter! Is it possible that his urine smells like vanilla...i use thatyesterdays news so i know if he eats some of it itsok but i see him in there quiet a few times eating away! and his foodbowl is full with food( but he still eats his pellets). Ordoes that vanilla just cut the urine smell?

Hi CuddlesMom,

It's not a dumb question at all. Yes, the urine changes. It's whatkeeps flystrike away. Sorry your little man thinks it's flavoredpellets. That's unforunate.

Give him a warning and squirt him with a watergun if you have to jolt him out of eating the soiled litter.

You don't have a wire bottom cage? If he's an indoor rabbit, then youdon't need the vanilla as much as you would with an outdoor rabbit.

If you're unable to monitor his eating the litter and he has a plasticbottom cage, then I'd not give him the vanilla until you can get a wirebottom cage.

You definitely don't want him filling up on the wrong thing.

-Carolyn

-Carolyn

Carplyn what is flystrike??? I have heard peopletalk about it and the importance of water to prevent it but are thereany good sites to find info about this. I'm guessing it is adisease or something that rabbits can get?

Thanks yes he is a indoor bunny....and i got aplastic bottom cage but i clean it everyday...my neighbor had a wirecage (bottom) and the bun looked like its feet hurt but i now knowdifferent! I'll just cut the vanilla out of his water. :)

CuddlesMom wrote:
...my neighbor had a wire cage (bottom) and the bun lookedlike its feet hurt but i now know different!
Rabbits will get sore feet from a wire bottom cage. If youget a wire bottom cage and get rid of the litter box, I would suggestputting in a board for them to sit on. It gives their feet abreak from the wire. They will really appreciate it!

*Sigh* he will just have to make due with the cagehe has now...i clean it and scoop out the "wet" bedding i see...he isgetting fixed next week i have to keep my cash for that! Maybe afterthat i'll get a new cage for him but for now he is pretty content. :)

Well that's fine though... I think thatrabbits prefer not to be on the wire floors... as far as eating thelitter, I guess keeping it scooped is about all I could suggest also...:?

Actually, have you considered putting some hay in his box?The hay might be more tempting to him and he may eat that if given thechoice...

Hay as in his "litter" box?I heard itsnot good if they eat "soiled" food... hay etc...he's just gonna have toadjust to no more vanilla in his water :?he's doing ok....ihad him out for about 4 hrs UNSUPERVISED in my daughters room ( i'dcheck in on him every so often) and its bunny proof all the wires areunplugged ya think he'd be running around...nope he found a spot underher bed and crashed out!Silly rabbit!

Latest posts

Back