I'm freaking out

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So one final question I was wondering how people get there rabbits to take the pain meds??

Meloxicam is a little sweet so some rabbits will take it right out of the syringe! Otherwise, you'll have to restrain her and force her to take them.

Ivy these are questions you need to ask the vet.

I see a lot of over reactive responses in this topic.
A lot of rabbits DO NOT go into stasis after they are spayed/neutered. The chances of that happening are actually quite low.
Not ALL rabbits will need pain meds. Yes it is typically customary to send most animals home with them but honestly a lot of them do not need them.
So just because your vet does not automatically hand over meds does not mean they are not a suitable rabbit vet.
You can however ASK your vet before the procedure to send you home with some to have on hand just in case.
Metacam is a NSAID. It would be like taking advil. In all honestly it is pretty weak pain control given the fact that this is an abdominal surgery. Once again showing that most bunnies come up just fine afterwards.
You do NOT need to go out and buy critical care. If despite the odds you do happen to need to syringe feed a little something, blended pellets and hay dust are great. And it's what your rabbit is already used to, so you're not introducing new food to an upset tummy.

The more you panic and worry the more you will see little things in your rabbit after and see something wrong when it's not really there.
She should be kept quite for 1.5-2 weeks. Not 2-3 days. Again this is abdominal surgery. There are internal sutures and layers of tissue you want to heal, not just the surface that you see.

Nobody here can tell you if your vet will put the metacam in a syringe either. Sometimes they dispense it in a syringe, other times they sell you a whole 10ml bottle. Other times they have off brands that seem to taste like chicken. You need to phone your vet. And just because the receptionist gives you 1 answer does not mean that is what the vet will do.

Take her food with you to the vets so they can offer if to her before and after.

Okay well my vet is very busy because he is the one good vet around and so he can not always answer all my questions, which is why I was asking people on here because they have gone through it and I haven't so I was just asking.

It's good to be prepared and know what to look out for. It also makes you crazy and paranoid lol. There is a lot of good information on this site and different answers. Like the saying goes "there's 100 ways to skin a cat". Meaning, this isn't an exact science. The same thing isn't done to every single rabbit with the same perfect result, because rabbits are different sizes and different breads and they all respond differently to surgery, medication, etc. so just know the basics.

1. Provide warm clean cage after surgery
2. Keep them in cage for as long as the vet suggests. 1-2weeks more than likely. No jumping on things in cage.
3. Make sure they are eating, drinking, pooping. May take some time right after surgery so don't panic. Ask the vet when you should get worried if they aren't eating/pooping.
4. Look at stitches daily to make sure it doesn't look infected (red, swollen, pus, drainage).
5. When in doubt... call the vet if you have questions or concerns.

:))

I feel like I should clarify my last post about the 7 days thing- I was tired and not actually communicating what was in my head. :p I keep my rabbits in a very small kennel for 7 days after a spay and then for the next 7 days it's cage only and then if everything looks good, they can go back to free roam in my apartment.

Definitely keep an eye on the stitches as she heals- generally rabbits don't mess with them like cats, but it is possible.

I personally like to keep Critical Care on hand for any bouts of ileus or illness, regardless of surgery, (it lasts forever in the freezer) but you can also make your own like Watermellons said.

My plan is to keep Iris in her xpen for atleast 2 weeks, I'm going to make her xpen smaller so she can't run around and her herself and rip her stitches but still enough room that she's not going to have complete inactivity, I don't wanna change her surroundings to much so she gets scared but I'm gonna spot clean daily and also make sure she has fresh litre so her stitches don't get dirty plus fresh water and food, I'm gonna keep an eye on her stitches and and check them a few times a day. I'm dropping her off tomorrow morning at like 9:00 I'm so nervous still.

Dropped her off like an hour ago, I'm trying to keep busy so I won't think about it to much.
When I dropped her off I inquired about pain meds and the woman said she won't need them.

So I called my vet and the woman who answered said they don't normally give out pain meds to animals but they can so I got a couple days of pain meds.

Thanks for this thread.

I'm thinking of retiring my oldest doe from breeding, she's 5 years now and an absolute alpha, always humping the doe she lives with. She would so love to be a house bunny again (had her roaming inside for 8 months due to Myxo quarantine, and for a week due to stasis treatment last year).

Best thing would be to get her spayed, but I'm worried, she's my only real pet.

So she's home now, and she looks very dopey and she tries to lick and bite it but I tell her no.

Make sure she doesn't lick at it. If you have to do so, you may need to make a collar for her (I usually use a sock that's rolled up and tied, not tightly or anything, around their necks to keep them from biding at wounds). I'm honestly surprised they send her home so fast! Keep a close eye on her.

Sending our love!

Yeah there were no stitches, I'm it sure how they did it but yeah no stitches, yeah I might get the cone, do you know where I can get a cone for her though?

Vet clinics sell cones or Petsmart would have the blow up donut ones.
Good vets often do the stitches internal. There is a way to hide them. So they are there, just hidden right below the surface. Or tissue glue was used. You still dont want her licking at it.

Yeah no I know that's what I'm trying to keep her from doing it.
Do I keep the the cone on always?

Latest posts

Back