Kindles?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slavetoabunny

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering getting a Kindle e-reader (asking hubby for one for my birthday). Does anyone have one? What do you think? Any recommendations? Thanks!!!

I don't have a Kindle but I have a Kobo(Chapters bookstore version) and I also bought one for my mom. I love it and use it all the time. At first I kind of missed using actual books but I love how the eReader is easier to carry around, especially when traveling.

If I have to buy another one I'd probably get a Kindle. The only reason I got the Kobo instead was it was cheaper(kobo is only 150$) and I didn't want to spend 300+$ on an eReader since i'd never used one before. The Kindle also offers more options and stuff then the Kobo. The Kobo is VERY simplified and it doesn't give you much room to customize things.

I dont' have any specific experience with Kindles but if your husband likes reading a lot then any eReader is a great gift.

Amazon has a Kindle for $139 now. I'm thinking about the convenience too. You should see how much room a weeks worth of books takes up when I have to travel! (hubby isn't the reader, I am....I'm asking for one for me for my birthday)

I have one of the very first kindles. I received it as a high school graduation gift. I absolutely love it. I also have the kindle app for my iphone and kindle for PC (those are free downloads). There are so many books out there that are free (out of copyright) and the prices on current books are great. The kindle is so easy to use and convenient too. It's great for vacations.
While there are some things the new kindles don't have that mine does (user-replaceable battery, expandable memory) there are also improvements like free 3G and international capability. All in all it's most definitely worth the new reduced price.
I look at things like the iPad and think, why buy one of those when I already have devices that do all that better (a kindle, an iPhone and a convertible tablet PC)

slavetoabunny wrote:
Amazon has a Kindle for $139 now. I'm thinking about the convenience too. You should see how much room a weeks worth of books takes up when I have to travel! (hubby isn't the reader, I am....I'm asking for one for me for my birthday)
Yeah, the Kindle came down in price a few months after I bought my Kobo. Before then it was 300$+. Its a steal for 139$!

I'm also glad that libraries are also starting to carry more eBooks. Its great when you can download it and not have to wait in line for holds.

The eReaders are better then an iPad if you want it for reading. eReaders use eInk so its just like reading a paper page. The iPad has a regular backlit screen and will cause eye fatigue if using it to read books.

The only thing I wish was different about the eReaders is that because the screen is eInk you still need a light to read. It would be nice if it was both eInk and backlit somehow so you can easily read in bed without all the lights on.

degrassi wrote:
slavetoabunny wrote:
Yeah, the Kindle came down in price a few months after I bought my Kobo. Before then it was 300$+. Its a steal for 139$!

I'm also glad that libraries are also starting to carry more eBooks. Its great when you can download it and not have to wait in line for holds.

The eReaders are better then an iPad if you want it for reading. eReaders use eInk so its just like reading a paper page. The iPad has a regular backlit screen and will cause eye fatigue if using it to read books.

The only thing I wish was different about the eReaders is that because the screen is eInk you still need a light to read. It would be nice if it was both eInk and backlit somehow so you can easily read in bed without all the lights on.

I use a booklight with my Kindle. Don't need to have all the lights on but don't hurt your eyes with reading off a backlit screen. It's a win-win.

I definately want a Kindle!! I hope hubby takes the hint and gets me one. I'll be able to travel without an extra bag for my books....just stick it in my purse!

Latest posts

Back