Holding your Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wabbitwuv

Reaction score
I amabletohold myrabbit on his back (very similar to how someone would hold a newbornhuman baby.) I pet him and he seems to enjoy theattention so much that he will allow me to hold him this way atleast once a day for about an hour or two at atime. My rabbit is about a year old and we have had him foralmost a year now. My husband can hold him this way butusually for about 20 minutes. My question is...does anyoneelse do this with their rabbit?

Hi Wabbitwuv,

I'm envious!

Nope, my rabbit doesn't like it when I pick him up. I didn'ttrain him from an early age to be used to being held. I onlyhold him like that when I have to trim his nails. Once I fliphim on his back and get him comfortable, he's fine now, but he's alwayshappy to get down.

I've seen Buck Jones hypnotize his rabbits that way. They gointo a trance. It's very sweet. Some ofmyfavorite picturesof rabbits have been theones whenthey've beenhypnotized.

-Carolyn

Don't worry! I do that too!That's funny...whotaught you that...I just kind of learn this myself after figuring theway to carry Monty!

I was talking to a lady that does rabbit rescueabout how I was holding him in my arms face down and she misunderstoodme and thought that I was able to hold him baby style. Shesaid that if he allowed that, it means that he trusts you verymuch. Well....I went home and tried and he allowed it, onlyfor short times at first.

She had also talked to us about wrapping him in a "bunny burrito" whenwe hold him, that makes him feel secure. We still do thatquite a bit, but I starting to hold him baby style without the"burrito."

Most of what I do with him is either trialand error or because I've read it somewhere.

My skittish one Jade allows me to trance her allthe time, she can be right in the middle of The World Binky Capades onWood and I could pick her up and do it, seems odd but she loves it...Isnickered at her one day when she fell so deep into the trance that herlittle nose and mouth were moving back and forth like SHE was winningthe dream fight she was in! Jezebel on the other hand, hates beingpicked up and can reach phenomenal heights trying to jump out of mygrasp-so I dont even try-I figure its good enough that she comes when Icall her and nudges me at times for a bit of attention.

Cher

Rub the bridge of their nose in between their eyeswhile they're on their backs. I've only done it once, since Megans onlyhad her nails cut once, and she sat still and it looked like she diedlol but she wasn't.

Latest posts

Back