rabbit scared by dog; advice on how to handle?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crescent

Reaction score
today i took my bunny out for a walk on her leashin ourbackyard. our backyard has fences on both sides and ahedge at the back to separate us from the neighbours. but a dog gotinto our backyard through the hedge and the fence and my bunny freakedand ran. the dog wasn't trying to hurt her, it didn't chase us or bark,it was just standing there. usually when my rabbit is scared she hidesbehind a box where we keep our hose, but she ran right past it, downthe driveway and into open area. i kept saying "it's ok" but shewouldn't let me catch her. i was trying to shoo away the dog but i wasalso holding onto the leash andshe was screaming so ihadto run with her and the dog just followed. i finally hadto yank on the leash andget close enough for metopick her up, and then chased away the dog, who came back 5minutes later and just stared at us! she was back to normal right awaywhile i was shaking like a leaf.

in such situations.. what do u do? i have a hard enoughtimegettingnear herinside the house..does this mean.. no more trips outside?

Is this her first timeoutside?Has she ever been around a dog near adog or evengotten a whiff of a dog?

I would suggest forget going outside for a day or two just togive her time to settle down. Then start really slow. Make sure thereare No dogs anywhere in the area. Set her down and onlt give her 12inches of slack on the leash. Don't let her get more than 12 inchesaway from you. That way if she get's scared your not having to chaseher far. She is easily withing reach.

If another animal comes into the yard instantly pick her up. Itonly takes a second for that freindly dog to turn killer.Don't take that chance. You can grdually give her a bit more slack.Never let her get so far away that you can not reach her in two stepsand have her in your arms.

I'm sorry you both had such a scary day.

Tina

she's been out a lot.. she just doesn't seem tolike it outside so we always go back inside after half an hour or so.and she's seen/smelled dogs before.... i just wish she knew that i wasthere to protect her....she just doesn't like to associate with us.hopefully that'll change when she gets spayed.

thank you for the advice!

Please read my post "If hate could kill!" I knowyou say the dog was friendly but I always thought Popcorn wouldn't hurta fly and know I refuse to go near him!

Oh I just had a great idea. How about Acage for outside. Nothing huge or anything but big enough for her toexplore and you could put a little box in. That way she will begin tofeel safer because she's in a cage and can hide. Also you are rightthere so the dogs or wharever couldn't get to her.

How about that?

Tina

bunnylover78642 wrote:
Please read my post "If hate could kill!" I know you say thedog was friendly but I always thought Popcorn wouldn't hurt a fly andknow I refuse to go near him!
thank you for your post. i did read yours, infact i read it right afteri posted mine, and it broke my heart! i was ready to go out and make amakeshift fence! i don't come from a family of animal lovers so itmeans a lot to me that there are people to bring these matters to myattention. :)

dajeti2: yes yes.. that sounds good! if she starts biting on the cage trying to get out.. should i take her out??

I would bring a few toys or treats to putin the cage. Try and make it a play time. I would start at 10-15minutes and slowly increase it by 5 minutes every couple of days.

Tina

Latest posts

Back