rabbit manicure or 'pet'icure

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah

Reaction score
I read in some literature from a local rabbitrescue organization that if your rabbit hates having his nailstrimmed--and whose rabbit doesn't--that wrapping a piece of wood infine sandpaper will help file down their nails. I suppose as they digon the wood it does the trick. It seems like a good idea for those ofus (me) who put off the nasty task because rabbits act like they'rebeing tortured. It buys a bit of time between nail trimmings. But thenagain, I'm not so sure it's safe. Will it whittle the nails down tooshort and cut the quick? Any opinions?

-Sarah

Well, if the rabbit is supposed to "sand" its ownnails down, by scratching at the sandpaper covered wood, my thoughtsare; fat chance it'll do exactly what you want it to do!

If you are expected to use the sand paper covered wooden piece to filedown its nails, why bother with all of that? Simply,use tools called a nail file, or emery board. Whatmakes you think, however, that a rabbit who resists nail clipping isgoing to be any the more accepting of someone, or something, filing itsnails? LOL

The solution is to be firm with your bun when it is nail clippingtime. They're like little children when it's bed time and/orbath time. If you can't be firm, next best thing is pay a vetto do it for you. Heck, ladies pay for manicures all thetime, no? ;)

Buck

If you want to make your bun prettythere is a special brand of nail polish for animals called "Pawlish"it's so cute :) Just thought I'd mention it hah.

The idea wasn't to build-your-own emory board,though the image of me filing my bun's nails down with a piece of woodand sandpaper would be a funny "kodak moment". I probably didn'texplain it very well. It is to cover a piece of wood that would be atthe bottom of their digging box or something like that so that as theydig it files the nails down. But you're so right BuckJones, chances areif you want them to do it they won't :D.

My little Mella can be tranced easily, so her nails aren't toodifficult to cut. Pauly has never been successfully tranced so with himI have to be firm. :(I hate to be firm, but I know you'reright. I'm such a sucker for bunny temper tantrums.

Hey all, Ryan again,

Best solution here, and this is a permenant thing that will stopnail-clippings (and filing) forever, if your bun is a hutch-bun or evena house bun, then get a run and instead of the soft nice grass, put iton concrete of stone or something hard, the bun wont tell thedifference if its not used to going out, this way the rabbits naturalmovements will keep the nails short - gauranteed, i used to work in apet shop and this advise saved a lot of worry for many customers :)trust me :) ive probably raised and handled more rabbits than most ofyou have had hot dinners :)

Hope this help, if it doesnt then your bun needs to get things doneproperly by a vet, because it is never gonna sit there filing its ownnails and youd struggle to keep hold of it and file all 20 nails downunless it super-docile

Latest posts

Back