Simethicone

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremysmom

Reaction score
Hi All,

My little boy Jeremy is sick, we noticed he wasn't acting like his usual trouble maker self and took him straight to the vet, the vet checked him over and thought he might be in the very beginning of GI Stasis. He gave us some antibiotics and suggested we use critical care to make sure he was getting food in his tummy and syringes of water as well. We've been doing all of this but today we noticed he's stopped pooping. He seems a little perkier then yesterday but for sure still not himself. He's still eating a tiny bit of lettuce on his own but nothing else. I read on here about Simethicone and I'm wondering if we should try this? I bought a bottle but I'm nervous to give him 'people' medicine. I've had bunnies a long time but this is our first case of tummy troubles. Any thoughts would be very appreciated!

He's about 2 years old (adopted 4 months ago), lop medium sized boy. He's fixed and generally our biggest trouble maker...

Thank you so much!

Simethicone is safe for bunnies. Whenever Sweetie has tummy trouble I would give her some simethicone and she feels better. The dosage is 1mL every hour for 3 doses. Also you can give him apple to help him poop. It does sound like he has constipation, which is easy to treat. GI stasis however can be difficult to treat. Just keep up with getting fiber into him and water. Push hay and water. You can also give him freshly squeezed pineapple juice from a fresh pineapple. The pineapple will help break up the blockage.

I hope that this helps!

Thank you so much, it's so easy to get nervous. We lost two bunnies last year at Christmas, completely unrelated to each other, just a fluke of terrible timing, but it's made us a bit jumpy. I'll try the Simethicone just in case.

Simethicone is ok for bunnies, I gave it to mine many times when he needed. Also, it's good to massage his tummy. I massaged my bunny's for a long time if needed, even put a mattress by his home and slept there close to him, to make sure he'd be ok. I always mixed a few drops of simethicone (bunny dosage) with a little bit of water, so it wouldn't taste too bad or be too weird for my bunny.
If you think he needs to poop, a vet here once told me it's good to give a spoon of olive oil. You can syringe it into his mouth (he won't like it). I don't know how good it is, but when my bunny was young (and I didn't know Rabbits Online) I did it. It didn't cause any harm as well, and my bunny pooped some time after having taken it - I just don't know if it was because of the olive oil or because he would have anyway.

Good luck there!!!!!!

Never syringe oils to a rabbit - there's a chance of aspiration and death due to oil coating the alveoli in the lungs making it impossible to absorb oxygen - it's an extremely dangerous practice (I learned the hard way years ago - the rabbit died gasping/suffocating in my arms).

I keep Nutri-cal for dogs/cats on hand. Far less messy than critical care - only need to give a small amount. Has vitamin E for intestinal inflammation, carbs for energy and protein for healing. I've had the best success using Nutri-cal for sick rabbits.

Latest posts

Back