Introduction to my rabbits Oreo and Gem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flashnihon

Reaction score
Hi. My name is Fritz and I am the proud owner oftwo rabbits. Oreo,my 7 month old black and whitemaleEnglish Spot and Rihnelander mix and Gem, my blackfemalemini lop (I don't really know what age she is but Ilove her just the same). Here are two pictures of them:

Here is my Gem

2do13b

Oreo

2do1nk

Anyway I am new to this forum but I belonged to another forum beforethis and no one responded to my question on bonding both of myrabbitssoon enough so I decided to ask you guys. Here is whatI posted on that forum:

[align=left]I am so confused. I really do not know what is wrongwith these two. I have tried everything. First I rearranged theircages so that they were both side by side so they could get used toeach other's scents. I tried the rubbing method whereI rubbed Gem and Oreo and tried to exchange their scents to the otherrabbit (i.e. petting Gem and right after petting Oreo and vice versa) IDid this twice. They still fought. I do not even get the all hormonesthing because Oreo is currently the aggressor (although Gem constantlylooks for Oreo and whenever she is out goes straight to his cage). Iguess why I am confused with the hormones explanation is that if someof Gem's hormones are still intact, shouldn't Gem be the aggressor andnot how it is right now with Oreo being the aggressor? I triedseparating them into two different areas and feeding them thesame stock of celery on either ends of the baby gate I used toseparate them. Nothing has worked. I am so frustrated. I guess I justwant them so badly to get along. They did before and I don't know whatto do. Can somebody explain why they are so vicious to eachother??[/align]
Please do let me know what you guys think.I really want to find out what I am doing wrong.

Hi Fritz! Are both your bunnies male? Usuallymale bunnies dont get along....ever...unless you get them neutered,then chances of them playing together are higher then when they are notfixed, but the chances of them getting along are still VERY slim. Letus know what the sex of your bunnies are and it will help for us tofigure out how to help you. :D

~Amy+Nimue~
(Nim-a-way)

No Sorry I had neglected to put that on my firstmessage. Gem is a female and Oreo is a male. Oreo has been neutered nowfor 9 weeks. Gem was spayed two weeks ago.

They still need some time to let their hormones subside. I'd wait at least a few more weeks.

Well, I would think that your male has been"fixed" long enough, but 2 weeks sounds pretty soon for your female. Iwaited 3-4 weeks before attempting to introduce my spayed female to myneutered male.

It can be done, trust me. I have three rabbits(two bucks and one doe), all bonded, all living in the same cage webuilt. It takes a lot of time and even more patience, but trust me,it's well worth the effort.

Follow the directions in the link provided, it works. You do have tofollow is specifically, but that's what I did. My doe Abby is thedominant bun and she DID NOT like the new buck Valuran when weintroduced him into the already bonded pair of Abby and Chompers. Shewould attack him, fur would fly, it was bad.

It took me two full weeks, of doing it twice or three times a day,until finally Abby mellowed out towards Valuran and accepted him. Ifelt like it was never going to happen and was ready to give up, butkept at it. I'm glad I did.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. :)

Sorry, I can't help you with bonding...I've neverdone it before, but I just wanted to tell you that your bunnies areadorable!! :D

Jenn

Such sweet bunnies. Adorable pictures.

I would also suggest using that site and waiting a little longer. Make sure her incision is healed up.

Jen

Latest posts

Back