New to this...have question about litter training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelscross

Reaction score
Okay so I read everything I could get my hands onbefore buying our first bunny. I even cornered people in the pet storelooking in the bunny section asking them about theirs. I got lots ofgood info but I'm still confused.

We just brought her home yesterday (a dwarf..named tinkerbell). I knowshe won't learn over night but she's just randomly pooping everywherein the cage not just in one corner so I don't know where to put thelitter box. Will she eventually pick a corner?

Thanks.

She should...I was having the same issues.....Iwas told to pull the litterbox, let em pick the corner they are gonnause (will notice them peeing there the most at first from what I'veseen) then introduce the litter to that corner. I'm justtrying that again now....If its young I've read it can takelonger...and they do better once fixed I've read too...but we're tryingnow! (mine are 2.5 months)....I think we made a breakthru tonite whilein the new playpen! From what I've read the pooping will tie ingradually....

Hang in there..you'll get there!!

The move and new home has probably made her a bitnervous, so she's probably pooing all over to mark her cage as hers.Eventually she should pick one corner, and when she does, just put alitterbox in that corner and she should start using it.
Keep her confined to a small area for a while so she learns what areais hers and what place she should be using as her bathroom. If you lether have too large of an area to run in right away, she may use otherareas as her bathroom...and it can be hard to break such a habit.

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum!!

I'm beginning to believe that every bunnie is different about their ultimate litter habits.

We have 7 bunnies. 5 are litter trained.

All 5 pee in their litter pans 100% of the time, (except for anaccident here and there..spray..spray..scrub..scrub..), in their cagesas well as during runtime.

As far as poopin'...they all use their litter pans to differentdegrees. Benji has very good habits and hits the pan most of the time.Binkie poops wherever, or at least it seems like it! Both had a chosencorner prior to litter training.

When we trained them, we took some of their soiled litter and put it inthe new pan. All of them seem to pick up almost immediately.

During runtime, it's usually the errant poops from all. They are outindividually, but have a community pan that they all seem to be ok withusing to pee in.

As long as they pee in the pan...I'mhappy!

Oh yeah....I use Woody Pet for their litter.

~ Jim

Latest posts

Back