castration

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceri

Reaction score
Welsh girl (South Wales), , United Kingdom
well i took chubbs to the vets last week to be oopscastrated:shock: he was o.k veruy drowsy afterwards but then by thenext day he was hopping about, eating wall paper and getting intomischeif like always. thank you for the advice carolynne you were righthe still likes me, he'sjust still a tad bit weiry.

Regards

Ceri:D

Hi Ceri,

I'm soooo glad to hear that Chubbsy-Wubbsy made it through theoperation with flying colors! What a spirited little guy to be up andaround the next day. In a lot of cases, it's harder on us than it is onthem. Gratefully, he had a good doctor to do the work. He was probablyso happy to be home that he couldn't contain himself.

Now the 'cooler' Chubbs will come out. Kisses, takes time out, not sospastic. *laughs* Hormones do funny things to all creatures great andsmall, (and that does include the human animal too). ;)

Yes, he still loves you. He never stopped. He will love you forever andever. You're the best friend he's ever had and he knows it and lovesyou dearly for loving and taking such good care of him. He will alwaysAlways love you.

-Carolyn

I don't think there's much that can go wrong ifyou go to a really good vet. I think the wound could get infected...and even though the rabbit is neutered doesn't mean his sperm is goneright away. It takes a few weeks for it to die, so keep your bunseperated! :)

I'm sure someone more knowledgable could give you better information!:)

Indeed! Adverse reaction to anesthesiaon the part of the rabbit, or error on the part of theanesthesiologist. Hemorrhaging post operatively is notentirely unheard of. Infection afterward.

As with all surgery, there is inherent risk involved, but this is notrocket science, and a qualified veterinarian should be capable ofsuccessfully castrating a buck. Old-timers used to do in thebarn or on the kitchen table. It is less problematical than aspay, for example, which is more radical and invasive.

Even at that, a spay should not, by and large, present noteworthyproblems to a veterinarianif the doe is between the ages of 6months and two years old, possibly three.

I am amazed when I read posts from people who say their vet will notperform neuterings because they are too dangerous. If that isthe vet's attitude, I would look for a new vet.

Even though there are risks, the potential for longer life, betterbehavior, less sexual frustration , and reduced risks ofuterine and testicular cancer for pet rabbits, far outweighthe probability of loss of life due to the surgery.

Buck

Thanks Buck now i wont worry about taking Fidget to the vet!
Lots of love
lauren n ebony and Fidget
xoxooxox:dude:
By the way how old do they have to be before they can be neutered?

Latest posts

Back