4 weeks old...is it possible

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoecat6

Reaction score
newbun03-24-05.jpg

I picked up this little cutie at a LPS, the cashier said some ladydropped off the whole litter and they are only 4 1/2 weeksold. Is it possible to separate a litter from its mother atthat young of an age. The only description on the bunnies wasa sign saying "mini bunnies $12.99". By the appearance ofsome of the littermates it appears to me that they are holland lops assome of their ears were starting to drop. At what age dotheir ears drop. He seems kind of unsteady on his feet onlinoleum, but has been nibblingonsomehay. Is he really that young and if he is istheir anything special I should be feeding him?

03-24-05newbun.jpg

She is ADORABLE! I hope she wasn'ttaken from her mother too soon. My Holland Lop was eightweeks when I got her and her ears had already dropped.

Laura

I went looking fora few old posts about things you should do and watch for with thereally young babies, but I couldn't find the posts I was looking for. Iknow that Luvit had a young baby and did just fine with it. You mightdo some more searching and maybe a few more people will pop in andanswer some questions for you. I think their digestive systems are notquite up to par yet at such a young age. I'm not sure about theirimmunity....Sorry I can't be of more help. GoodLuck!

RaspberrySwirl

How adorable! She does appear to be alittle tort Holland Lop. Their ears follow different stagesof development depending on the individual. Some drop asearly as 2 weeks, most lop at 6-8 weeks, but some never fully lop.

The bunnies can do well when weaned at 4 1/2 weeks if not exposed toundue stress -- the reason why it is advised that they not be offeredfor sale until a minimum of 8 weeks of age.

Pam

I think I read that when a bunny is that youngand you try to hold it, the bunny will get a lot more attached to you,since he/she is looking for something warm to cuddle with. You can be amommy to the bunny.

pamnock wrote:
Howadorable! She does appear to be a little tort HollandLop. Their ears follow different stages of developmentdepending on the individual. Some drop as early as 2 weeks,most lop at 6-8 weeks, but some never fully lop.

The bunnies can do well when weaned at 4 1/2 weeks if not exposed toundue stress -- the reason why it is advised that they not be offeredfor sale until a minimum of 8 weeks of age.

Pam

I agree with Pam , i have had amother wean babies at3 weeks ,

she just got sick ofthe teeth i think, theydid well but ! theyhave to be stress freeand cuddled alot , especially ifthere is only one bunny as you

have , She is an adorable little puff ball .

About an hour after I brought her home I went in to check on how things were going and found this:D:D:D.

baby03-24-05.jpg

She's fitting in great already. The dutch dwarf I've only hada couple of days because he was a totally unwanted bunny. Istarted a conversation with a man shopping for bunny supplies in a petstore and he was so bitter about this baby bunny he was "stuck with"that I offered to take himoff his hands. I would 'thave been able to sleep at night if I would have left him in thathorrible situation. And to top it off he has the sweetest andmost loving disposition I have ever seen. I guess I'm tryingto share some of the love I had for my Penelope who died with these newlittle angels.

make sure one of them is neutered before they are very close together, since bunnies can get pregnant early.

By the way the picture is the most adorable.

zoecat6 wrote:
About an hour after I brought her home I went in to check onhow things were going and found this:D:D:D.

baby03-24-05.jpg

She's fitting in great already. The dutch dwarf I've only hada couple of days because he was a totally unwanted bunny. Istarted a conversation with a man shopping for bunny supplies in a petstore and he was so bitter about this baby bunny he was "stuck with"that I offered to take himoff his hands. I would 'thave been able to sleep at night if I would have left him in thathorrible situation. And to top it off he has the sweetest andmost loving disposition I have ever seen. I guess I'm tryingto share some of the love I had for my Penelope who died with these newlittle angels.
DANGER.........DANGER

CUTENESS OVERLOAD

CUTENESS OVERLOAD

:p:D:p

I haven't picked a name yet as I am really notsure of the sex, the pet store said it was a male have found them to bewrong most of the time in the past. I tried to look myself but I thinkits just too young to tell yet. The little dutch dwarf on theother hand is definately a male and he came to me with the name Reggiealready. Heres the other 3 before the new addition.A vision in black and white:D

03-23-05three.jpg

Your pix are just precious!! Goodluck. I bought Cinnamon, a mini lop at about 4weeks. In fact April 1 is his 1 year birthday!!Anyway, when I took him to the vet for a check-up, he said thatCinnamon was very healthy. The only change in diet is thatthey should be given alfalfa for the first few months, then switch toTimothy Hay. Also, at first my vet limited me to the veggiesI was giving Cinnamon. After a few months, I was giving him avariety of veggies, limiting the sugary ones like carrots and sugarsnap peas.

Hope this helps.

What a great thing you did, taking that bunny out of a home that really didn't want him in the first place!!

That picture with them in the litter is so funny because it looks likethe dutch is being used as litter!! haha, sorry, but it's soocute!! I'm melting!!

-Vanessa

AnnaS wrote:
Ithink I read that when a bunny is that young and you try to hold it,the bunny will get a lot more attached to you, since he/she is lookingfor something warm to cuddle with. You can be a mommy to thebunny.

True, true.:D

Latest posts

Back