Outdoor (wild) rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mat

Reaction score
Hi,

A wild rabbit has taken up residence in my yard, spending most of her time during the day huddling in a corner of my house behind some bushes. I took a closer look at her and noticed a few large red growths between the toes of her hind foot. Not sure if it's cancer or a viral disease or what. Just wondering if anyone might have an idea of what the problem might be here. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mat

It could be sores to her hocks and front feet .. I would take her to the vet and have her checked out!!

~Pumpkin and Kylie :)

Depending on which country you're from means that the species of rabbit and the type of disease or infection could vary. If you have european rabbits, it could be chronic myxomatosis which can present with lesions. Although I think you would usually see lesions on the face as well.

It's possible it's simply an injury (perhaps a bite wound) that has become infected. If you could catch her and take her to the vet they could contact a wildlife carer. Although also depending on where you live and the species of rabbit, if introduced they might not treat and may not be able to release back to the wild.

Cottontails are actually a different species than domestic rabbit. There used to be a guy in the medicine forum who was heavily involved in Cottontails rescue. I dont remember his name; its been a few years since I've been on the forum. If you can find him, he would be a help; not everything that a vet knows about domestic rabbits would apply to Cottontails. The symptoms mentioned are not indicative of myxomytosis. . .

Cottontails are actually a different species than domestic rabbit. There used to be a guy in the medicine forum who was heavily involved in Cottontails rescue. I dont remember his name; its been a few years since I've been on the forum. If you can find him, he would be a help; not everything that a vet knows about domestic rabbits would apply to Cottontails. The symptoms mentioned are not indicative of myxomytosis. . .

The original poster didn't mention where they lived, I didn't think it was safe to assume that the wild rabbit was a cottontail given no knowledge of location.

Growths and lesions are a symptom of chronic myxomatosis (not the acute form), I only mentioned it as a possibility and unlikely because of the lack of other lesions.

Latest posts

Back