Picking up while on the ground but nowhere else?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minilopbun

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've noticed that Baci lets me pick him up and put him on my lap when I am sitting on the floor or couch playing with him, but he won't let me if I'm standing up and just try to lift him. My sisters and I all pick him up half way where his back feet are on the ground all the time while standing, but never all the way (he hates being lifted so we don't try to unless we need to!) but whenever I am playing with him he lets me pick him up, he'll sit on my lap run off and then come back for more lol.

Isn't this strange? I wonder if with more time he'll get used to just being picked up whenever.

His is completely normal. Since rabbits are prey animals they get scare when something reaches for them. Like if a big wolf reaching down to grab a bunny. It's natural, and just keep working on it. When you are sitting he feels not threat because you are a t similar level. Good luck!

Throughout her life, Bunny never enjoyed being picked up. She would often make a groaning sound when being picked up.

Once I pick them up, there is one way of carrying that I think doesn't stress them. I have them put their front feet over my shoulder, with their body on my chest, and their hips are supported in the palm of my hand. This way their head is up in the air and they have good visibility. As far as I know, being carried like this is very low/no stress.

Yesterday, late afternoon, I carried one of the Flemish babies (11 weeks) like this. We walked out the front door and walked around the front yard several times. Then we sat on the front door stoop and watched traffic and people walking on the sidewalk with their dogs. I held him to make sure he didn't run away. When I had enough, I gave him a gentle push towards the front door and he ran back into the house. This was to teach the rabbit what his surroundings are and that he can run back into the house for safety through the door....teach it that the door is the big bunnies bunny hole.

Latest posts

Back