Molting Insanity!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamsterdance

Reaction score
Hello!
I have four rabbits, two of which are not bad while molting. The two good ones are a mini lop and Netherland dwarf. One of the others is a lionhead so more hair=more hair loss, but beyond that she isn't bad.

However, my holland lop sheds like crazy. It is awful! The amount of hair he looses on a daily basis during his molts is ridiculous! Everything inside of his cage is covered in fur, and petting him my hand gets covered as well. I feel like I have tried everything to make his molts more manageable- daily brushing, using a wet hand to remove hair, pulling out anything that is loose... I tried a hair magnet comb for cats(totally worthless for rabbits), one of those furminators for dogs/cats(after a few times pulling it through his hair I realized it looked like it was cutting his hair?! Stopped use immediately)... Nothing seems to stop the never ending amount of hair coming from this tiny rabbits body.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Anyone else have a crazy heavy molting rabbit? I'm drowning in bunny hair...

I hope someone has suggestions. I'm in the same boat. My Flemish Giant is molting like crazy. I groom, pet, rub, brush, and still mounds of bunny fuzz are flying around my house. Everywhere! She only has access to the hall, but the fuzz is everywhere and it's embarrassing when people come over and sit on the couch in the living room and start brushing hair off their clothes!!

I was thinking of making a sticky trap with vasoline on cardboard. That would trap some of it. But there has to be a better way. However I draw the line at vacuuming my bunny!

I have 2 that look very scraggly, the other 5 not so much. Just have to keep up with the brushing and wait for them to finish--I vacuum their hutches daily. The only thing worse was when our Bull Mastiff was shedding as she was 30 times as big and very hairy.

Bandit is just the same. During his molting times (which can last for weeks), I have to brush him daily, and during the worst times, twice daily. Usually I brush him for about 20-30 minutes each time, it's never enough and the fur never stops coming off. But I'd be standing there all day otherwise if I didn't stop.

There's much you can do except groom frequently, vacuum frequently, and try not to inhale too much of it :p

Bandit is just the same. During his molting times (which can last for weeks), I have to brush him daily, and during the worst times, twice daily. Usually I brush him for about 20-30 minutes each time, it's never enough and the fur never stops coming off. But I'd be standing there all day otherwise if I didn't stop.

There's much you can do except groom frequently, vacuum frequently, and try not to inhale too much of it :p

I know this will sound very bad, but I am going through the same problem with my holland lop. She normally molts 2 times a year, the start of summer, and the start of winter. I take the vacuum hose (don't put it on her at all) I put it near me and I start pulling the loose hair. As the hair flies, the suction of the vacuum hose sucks it up. I'm not using it on her, I just keep it near me so I can suck it up after she's put away!

~Pumpkin and Kylie :)

Latest posts

Back