i want a bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weeee

Reaction score
hi guys i am looking for a bunny that will staysmall im new to this and not sure what kind to get and how much theycost or where i can adopt one. im in the ny area thanks

Sometimes your local shelter might have somebunnies. Dwarf Rabbits stay pretty small. My bun cost $24.99 and herstarter kit (cage, food, shavings) was $59.99. Make sure you knoweverything you need to know. They're not that easy to takecare of. And never buy a bunny as an easter gift because most peopleonly want them for Easter then the novelty wears off and the poorlittle things get abused and abandoned. So please do your research wellbefore getting one.

Hi Weee,

The shelter's a perfect place to get a rabbit. There's a lot of benefits to not having a baby rabbit as a first bunny.

I would strongly suggest you not buy a rabbit from a petstore. Manytimes, the rabbits are taken away from their mothers too young and thatleads to problems, the environment they keep their rabbits in isn'thealthy and many of the workers don't know how to advise you on whatyou need for the rabbit, and many rabbits are sickly.

If you wish not to rescue a rabbit from the shelter, then go to areputable rabbit breeder in your area. You can contact the ARBA(American Rabbit Breeders Society) via a search on the web and find outfrom them where breeders in your area are.

You would be wise to follow MyBunnyLovesMe's advice as stated above. She hits a lot of valid points.

Let us know how you make out; whether you get a bunny or not. Best of luck!

-Carolyn

Yeah, I bought mine from a Pet Store and they toldme NOT to give her Timothy Hay right away... (she was 6 weeks old whenI got her) Also grown up rabbits tend to be less aggressive, so youwon't have to worry about chasing it around the house toomuch :) Try your area shelters and let us know how you do :)

You have to be very careful that you get what youwant.....I'm still laughing because a friend at work got 2 lop earedbunnies that were the same sex from a breeder 2 months ago......welltheir ears never fell.....and last week she opened the cageto find 7 babies!!!!!!

Very True, Kelsbun. I've known of people who were told at the petstorethat the rabbit was a dwarf rabbit. That's Not what it turned out to be.

My first rabbit was from a petstore, and the poor thing died of arespiratory illness 2 weeks after I had gotten him. It broke my heart.The petstore basically gave me a kit and said, "Enjoy!" Alot of thestaff don't know what to tell you because they don't know themselves.They're getting their $11/hour and it's a job to them.

The breeder I purchased my rabbit from showed me his teeth, knew thebreeds and what their food needs were, what their size would be, andthey knew if it was a girl or a boy. Ya know, the little things.
;)

-Carolyn

Well mine told me mine was a girl (which she is)and that she was a dwarf (well she's small but a mix of a bunch ofthings lol) so just be careful and know what you want to get. My bun is6 months old now and shes the happiest...hyperest (not a word I know)bunny I've ever seen :) She's running in circles as we speak...hah

It's sad that the pet stores are unable to sex therabbits, and often sell two of the "same sex" only to have them produceoffspring at sexual maturity.

It's really not that hard to learn to sex rabbits. My 5 yearold learned at the age of 4 to sex tiny bunnies still in the nestbox. A breeder has asked him to come over tomorrow to sex herbunnies :) He feels so important LOLMatthew has far better eyesight than I do, and is able to confirm whatI *think* I see :D

Pam

Well my bunny has nipples and no balls so I'm gonna assume she's a SHE :) Wow that sure was blunt wasn't it... lol

Your smallest breeds are Netherland dwarfs, andpolish. Polish top weight should be 3 1/2 lbs.Mini-rex are also small, top weight 4 1/2 lbs. Both polishand mini-rex are very calm and cuddly. They are known fortheir sweet natures. Netherland dwarfs can be nippy and highstrung(notice I said can be). Your best bet would be to findand ARBA show in your area and go and look at the differentrabbits. Talk to the breeders. Do not get yourrabbit at a pet store, or from a back-yard raiser. You neverknow for sure what you are getting. Breeders can usually giveyou the background of their buns and will tell you all the rightinformation you need to know about caring for your bunny and keeping ithappy and healthly. You di not mention the town in NY or Icould steer you to some breeders. Go to the ARBA web site,www.arba.com and look for the shows inNY and find one in your area. I think there might also be alist of breeders. You can also do a search for breeders inNY.Do your research and decide what breed you want.Depending, price may be anywhere from $20 and up. I am in CTand breed and show mini-rex and polish. I sell mine for $25with a pedigree. Many breeders have buns they sell for lessthat are pet quality, meaning they are not good enough for showstandards. They may be an unaccepted color, have a wrongcolor toenail, or something like that. They are great forpets. Let us know how you make out. Donna

Hi weee

I wouldn't advise getting your bun from a pet shop. The first one Ibought, diesal, died about three days after I got him. It was so sad Ijost got in from work one day and had to rush him to the vets but theytried to save hime and their was nothing they could do.

Vinnie who I got about a month later was bought from a breeder and Igot a good look at him, his mum, dad and brother and sister which wasreally nice. I also knew that he was definately old enough to beseparated from his mum as I think diesal may have been too young, and Iget to know his birth date 3rd may 2001 so I can celebrate it everyyear.

Now you guys keep saying not to buy from a PetStore and I can see you reasons why, but both me and my friends havegotten Buns from them and have had no problems at all. Tyson's a male(I forget what kind) Peppy's my lil male mix dwarf with the cute blueeyes! And Megan as most of you seen is a female mixed breed.And we'veall been told that they are exactlywhatthey are! :) So, maybe it all depends on the store you goto. Tyson wasfrom Petcetera, Peppy was from PJ's Pet Centreand Megan was from Palmac's Pet Food. So.... I dunno, maybe you shouldlisten to the other people anyway lol

I am not saying all pet shop are bad it was justthat I had a bad experience with a rabbit from one but I'm sure manypeople don't have problems, I do worry though that they have them inthere too young as whenever I go to our big pet shop "pets at home"they all look so small.

Megan was super small when I got her, she was 6weeks old. Peppy was 4 months old, he was free because no one wantedhim :( They said he was too old to sell, so I took him.

Latest posts

Back