Messy bottom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamela227

Reaction score
Yesterday when I had Oreo out to play, I noticed she had 2 small clumps of her poop/some litter stuck to her fur on her bottom (kind of graphic but, one clump was abover her anal opening and the other right below it.

I found the website about giving bunnies a dry bath with cornstarch powder andtried that to loosen it off her fur. I was able to get the top clump loose enough to the point where i could just clip it off, but the bottom clump I am having trouble getting off. The powder didn't seem to really help much with that one so I tried using a wet clothand spray water bottle, working it into the fur where the clump is attached, to see if I could get it to loosen but it didn't really help.

I'm afraid to go anywhere near it with any kind of scissor or razor because it is so close to her anal opening skin. The clump that is still stuck to her isn't really big. It's just matted into her fur close to the skin, but I want to get it off of her asap before it gets any more stuff stuck to it. I know that area is extremely sensitive andwas wondering what kind of animal soap/shampoo, if any, I could use to get that off of her?

She took being sprayed with the water pretty well, but I don't want to give her a 'full butt bath' because I don't know how she will react to being actually put in the waterand she doesn't like being picked up, so I'd prefer to spot clean her directly in her cage if I can, since she seems to be comfortable with me touching her back there when she is in her cage (that's how I cleaned her so I wouldn't getcornstarch powder all over the house! loland it worked out well).

~pam

It's difficult to get those poos off :(Many rabbits don't mind sitting in a butt bath. I use a little dish washing detergent to help loosen and break up the hardened droppings. To help prevent this from happening in the future, you can trim the hair in the area and apply a little Vaseline. Small embroidery scissors with sharp tips can be used for cutting, but use caution.

Pam

Thanks Pam! Does it matter what kind of dishwashing detergent I use, & is it ok if the soap actually touches her skin there? I'll try my best to keep the soap on the clumped fur but it's so close,I just don't want to irritate it :?

~pam

I am proud to report that after about 2 hrs, some cornstarch powder, a lot of water & a little bit of soap..followed by some more water and a small painless snip snip, Oreo is now fresh smellingwith a nice clean bottom!! :D

Thanks for all the suggestions! She's much more comfortable now & happy! :cool:I just hope it doesn't happen again anytime soon! lol what a project it was!

~pam

Latest posts

Back