Wet Hocks & Tail

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grunter

Reaction score
I still can't get my bunny to use her litterbox(Iuse Yesterdays News Litter). She hates it and jumps out just as soon asI put her in it. She now sits with her front paws in the litterbox butnot the rest of her body. Also I notice that her back legs and tail isconstantly wet? She is in a cage that has a plastic bottom but I putpine shavings in the bottom , so it will absorb when she pees. She isabout 4 years old and used to be an outside rabbit, but we have to keepher inside now because she is recovering from Fly Strike. Anyidea why her back hocks and tail is always wet? And why does she onlyput her front paws in the litterbox and her food dish?

Gotta keep her dry. Her resting in soiled pine shavings with a wet tailcould lead to a respiratory infection. Wet tail is certainly a concern.G.I. upset?

Keep her/him hydrated. Is he/she eating properly? Is she eating her hay? Is she drinking? Pooping?

Are the sore hocks open? Flush the sores with peroxide daily untilthere isn't any pus. Put a mat down in the cage for relief.

-Carolyn

try to flip your bunny upside down and wash herwith warmish water and then dry her well. if her skin is going redbecause she is getting hutch burn/urine scald you could also tryputting some vaseline on the skin but try not to get it on the fur orit will make it matted.

if you just leave your bun wet and in wet shavings as Carolyn said itwill lead to an infection and your irritate your girls skin.

best of luck,

nikki

I dry her off constantly with a paper towel andwash her with warm water everynight just to get all the urineoff. She has no sores on her hocks and her sore on her backfrom the fly strike is all healed. I put fresh pine shavings in hercage daily. Because her stools were soft and I was trying toget them back to normal, she has been on only a hay diet for the lastweek. Her stools are a little better, but not back to normal.Should I start giving her pellets? In the article that you sent meCarolyn it said that after her stools are back to normal then tointroduce fresh greens but in moderation. Do you think she iswetting her self because of all the hay? I am at a total loss? I don'tknow what to do at this point. I don't have to worry about her hairgetting wet because she is still shaved from the belly down from thefly strike and it hasn't grown in yet.

Ialso use a flat bottom cage I havethought about going to a hardwear store myself to get some kind of wireto make half the cage flat then the other wire..I use pineshavings also i try to get the wet shavings out asap as i see em. Imsure you do also. As for the greens i would hold off for a while maybea few months till her stools are 100% normal..i heard rabbits just needhay and water and pellets..id be afraid if her stools became looseagain..but im no bunny expert i just got my lil one a few months ago.:?Oh yeah as far as her wetting herself could she possiblyhave a urinary tract infection

Latest posts

Back