Would this cage be ok?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Most of the cages I've seen at pet stores and such seem pretty small. We have cats, which are all super good with other animals, even my parrots, but I wouldn't trust them alone with a bunny, so I need some sort of a cage with a "roof" or something to keep him completely enclosed when we aren't home. I saw this cage and really like it, but I don't know if it would work for rabbits. I know they aren't as agile as ferrets or chinchillas, so I'm not sure if this would be dangerous for a bunny since it's a taller cage. I wouldn't want him to fall. Would a bunny do ok in a cage like this? Or is it too tall? I know a lot of the bunny cages have ramps, but it's only ever just one little one. Thanks!! :)
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21359&cmpid=08csesz&ref=3474&subref=AA

It might work, but it wouldn't be ideal. You want rabbits to have more space to move around horizontally. A big dog kennel can work really well. A lot of people (myself included) end up constructing cages out of storage cubes.

Ive been looking into these cages for my rat. They have the small animal ones which is that one you linked and one the same size with larger bar spacing for ferrets and chinchillas.
They are not designed for rabbits or Gp's. They dont provide much length or room for a rabbit to hop around and the holes just aren't designed for bunnys to go from level to level. Great ferret cage however :)

I really dont see any cages on that site that I would put a rabbit into. All the bunny ones seem to small, (hutches too) they would be okay if the bun is out all the time.

Your best bet is one of these, biggest one you can fit. The ones that are 40" + are great.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+10627+38+21287&pcatid=21287
And you can add a level in there, add an x-pen around it for free time when youre home, and close bunny up in it when youre away.

Add an extra level to a dog crate? you could easily make your own. Wander around in a hardware store long enough and you're bound to find a laundry shelf or something that would be appropriate. Zip tie it inside a dog crate and you're done.
If you do go with a dog crate, you might try checking craigslist too for cheap options.

Latest posts

Back