More Litter advice please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenwood56

Reaction score
I wanted to try wood stove pellets in my buns litter boxes, but I see that the pellets sold at Home Depot fall apart almost as soon as they get wet.

Any advice from anyone using wood pellet

That is the point of wood pellets as litters. As the get wet, they absorb the liquid and fall apart.

What I do is put a layer at the bottom of the litter box (just enough to cover the bottom), then I have a grate that goes over top of the litter. About 3 days after doing a full cleaning, I will scoop out the boxes. This means cleaning off the hay and poop (from the grate), I then use a litter scoop to scoop out the wet litter. One trick I do use is to get a scoop of the litter in the scoop and sift the wet stuff into the garbage bag. This leaves the stuff that is still good and that goes back into he box.

I do the same thing as Kate and use a grate over the top of my wood pellets. I use fluorescent light grating. I use my shop vac and vacuum out poops every day (they easily come through the grate) and empty the box and clean it every 4 days.

I also use the fluorescent lighting grate over my litter box with wood pellets. The poops and pee fall through and I only have to clean his box every 3-4 days.

Those training pads for puppies are VERY helpful at the bottom of the litter box, they hold up the smell well. They cost about 8 bucks at wal mart for a BIG package. I use that, then a layer of newspaper (because my Bonkers is a digger) and then Critter care and hay.

Back