Bonding and humping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrystalWithaK

Reaction score
Hello!! I'm a first time bunny Mom. I've had Lola for about six months. A couple weeks ago we got a second rabbit, Theo, a baby holland lop. I've read a lot about the bonding process. They both have their own cage and let them out together daily and every time I do she is constantly chasing him, humping him, and now she's even peeing on him.

I know this is her way of claiming dominance but I feel bad for the little guy. I always feel the need to push her off of him. Should I just let them work it out themselves? How long does the humping last? How will I know it safe to let them live together?

And he sticks because she keeps peeing on him. How can I get him clean? I know they should be bathed.

Any advice is great! Thanks!

No. Rabbits should NOT be bathed. They keep themselves clean. They groom themselves. Soaking a rabbit is not recommended. If needed, use a warm, moist washcloth and give a wipe. This can be done once to get urine off, but it isn't necessary. Normally, there is no reason to even use a washcloth. Bathing a rabbit is not recommended and is even warned against.

For bonding, just stop. You have to wait until the baby is old enough to be neutered. Once he's neutered, wait an additional 8 weeks for hormones to dissipate. Once that time is over, only then can bonding begin. It isn't wise to try to bond a baby with an adult. Even if it seems to be working, it often falls apart with the onset of hormones. There is no benefit to trying to bond them now. There is, however, great risk. If they fight now, it may prevent them from bonding in the future. From what you describe so far, all that humping is likely to lead to fighting. It isn't helping them to "work it out." The new one can't bond until he's been neutered.

Is your female spayed? If she isn't spayed, that also must be done before bonding can begin. BOTH rabbits have to be fixed before the bonding process starts.

Reactions: Aki
:yeahthat: NEVER put together two rabbits who aren't both desexed, it's very dangerous. You won't be able to put them together for the next 3 months or so. If your doe isn't already spayed (but I hope you'd know better than to risk an accidental litter by putting an intact doe with a male) you can probably do it around now if she's healthy and has a good weight. But even if / when she is, that doesn't mean you can bond her until the male is neutered too (most vets accept to do it after 4 months).

Latest posts

Back